+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: platter/bearing wobble?

I'm Richie.

There's absolutely no play in the bearing. I have shifted the platter several times without any joy and I am wondering if it will become counterproductive to keep taking it on and off. I'll try another platter I think. If anyone is near and has one I can try, I'd appreciate it.

I know it isn't the end of the world, but I'd like to sort it. In the meantime I am going to listen to some loud rock n roll.

I'm Chris.

Agreed - definitely not the bearing. My point was that even with the best platters there is a ever slight wobble - definitely not as pronounced as the OPs video.

Here is a bone stock video that shows ever so slight wobble of a factory platter. This is what I was seeing on mine and being anal about it.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by costerdock View Post
    Agreed - definitely not the bearing. My point was that even with the best platters there is a ever slight wobble - definitely not as pronounced as the OPs video.

Here is a bone stock video that shows ever so slight wobble of a factory platter. This is what I was seeing on mine and being anal about it.

Pretty sure that's not a wobble but an inconsistency in the machining of the edge of the platter. My stock platter didn't wobble on the stock bearing or on the Mike New bearing. The ETP platter I had wobbled on the MN bearing.

I found this unacceptable and sold the deck after that and bought a new Lp12, been happy ever since.

I suspect the platter in the OPs video is warped or has been dropped to exhibit that kind of movement. As it's S/H it's impossible to know the history of the deck. Also, as another member has said the bearing could not be seated properly in the 'well' of the deck. You will need to loosen the three screws holding it down and give it a bit of a wiggle (technical term) to make sure it's in the correct position.
    Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 19-01-2017 at 10:34.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    Pretty sure that's not a wobble but an inconsistency in the machining of the edge of the platter. My stock platter didn't wobble on the stock bearing or on the Mike New bearing. The ETP platter I had wobbled on the MN bearing.

I found this unacceptable and sold the deck after that and bought a new Lp12, been happy ever since.

I suspect the platter in the OPs video is warped or has been dropped to exhibit that kind of movement. As it's S/H it's impossible to know the history of the deck. Also, as another member has said the bearing could not be seated properly in the 'well' of the deck. You will need to loosen the three screws holding it down and give it a bit of a wiggle (technical term) to make sure it's in the correct position.

Agreed.

I'm Mike.

Bit late on this but thought I'd add my experiences. I've got an MN bearing and a Funk Firm Platter. I noticed a wobble and the platter was not sitting entirely secure; what's more VTA measurements between the outer & inner of the record varied by 2.0mm or more. This resulted in tonal imbalances across the record. I mostly fixed this by re-attaching the bearing and securing all fixings. I did not realise how sensitive all these parts are! It is crucial all fixings are tightened and centered perfectly or as near as dammit. Now the VTA discrepency is in the vicinity of circa 0.5mm and the wobble is mostly gone. Not perfect, but a LOT better.

I'm Richie.

I bought a second hand platter and there is still a small wobble, but no where near as pronounced as the one in the op

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmbug View Post
    Bit late on this but thought I'd add my experiences. I've got an MN bearing and a Funk Firm Platter. I noticed a wobble and the platter was not sitting entirely secure; what's more VTA measurements between the outer & inner of the record varied by 2.0mm or more. This resulted in tonal imbalances across the record. I mostly fixed this by re-attaching the bearing and securing all fixings. I did not realise how sensitive all these parts are! It is crucial all fixings are tightened and centered perfectly or as near as dammit. Now the VTA discrepency is in the vicinity of circa 0.5mm and the wobble is mostly gone. Not perfect, but a LOT better.
    I have a Funk mk1 platter and no wobble, also Mike New metal platter, again no wobble.

I suspect much of this is down to incorrectly installed bearings and platters that are not lowered centred on to the bearing taper.

There was an issue with the new Funk platter early on before the depth of the hole in the Funk platter was adjusted, it was made slightly deeper.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    I bought a second hand platter and there is still a small wobble, but no where near as pronounced as the one in the op
    Which platter, Mike New metal, Mike New ETP, Funk mk1, Funk mk2 ?

When folks are being critical of products they should give all the information regarding what precise items are at issue.
    Regards Neil

I'm Richie.

a standard technics platter.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    a standard technics platter.
    Should be no problem, have run with that option as well. Its possible the platter mounting hole is damaged if it was a roughly handled DJ deck, if from a new one I am not sure what might be wrong. I tried several Technics platters with it around about the time the issue with the Funk MK2 platter was discovered, trying to work out why it would not sit correctly on the Mike New bearing taper. As I said it was found that the hole wasn't deep enough.

Other than that I suspect the bearing is not mounted correctly in the turntable.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast