+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: platter/bearing wobble?

  1. #11
    Join Date: Oct 2014

    Location: SE London

    Posts: 299
    I'm Richie.

    Default

    There's absolutely no play in the bearing. I have shifted the platter several times without any joy and I am wondering if it will become counterproductive to keep taking it on and off. I'll try another platter I think. If anyone is near and has one I can try, I'd appreciate it.

    I know it isn't the end of the world, but I'd like to sort it. In the meantime I am going to listen to some loud rock n roll.

  2. #12
    Join Date: Dec 2011

    Location: Prescott, AZ USA

    Posts: 113
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Agreed - definitely not the bearing. My point was that even with the best platters there is a ever slight wobble - definitely not as pronounced as the OPs video.

    Here is a bone stock video that shows ever so slight wobble of a factory platter. This is what I was seeing on mine and being anal about it.


  3. #13
    Join Date: Aug 2014

    Location: Norfolk

    Posts: 352
    I'm Andrew.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by costerdock View Post
    Agreed - definitely not the bearing. My point was that even with the best platters there is a ever slight wobble - definitely not as pronounced as the OPs video.

    Here is a bone stock video that shows ever so slight wobble of a factory platter. This is what I was seeing on mine and being anal about it.

    Pretty sure that's not a wobble but an inconsistency in the machining of the edge of the platter. My stock platter didn't wobble on the stock bearing or on the Mike New bearing. The ETP platter I had wobbled on the MN bearing.

    I found this unacceptable and sold the deck after that and bought a new Lp12, been happy ever since.

    I suspect the platter in the OPs video is warped or has been dropped to exhibit that kind of movement. As it's S/H it's impossible to know the history of the deck. Also, as another member has said the bearing could not be seated properly in the 'well' of the deck. You will need to loosen the three screws holding it down and give it a bit of a wiggle (technical term) to make sure it's in the correct position.
    Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 19-01-2017 at 10:34.
    My System:

    Turntable - Linn Sondek Lp12, Kore, Lingo 3, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Cambridge Audio CXC, Chord 2Qute DAC, Nordost Blue Heaven coax, Nordost SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Red Dawn Interconnects, Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II, Spendor Classic S3/5R, Target R1 speaker Stands, Soundstyle Hifi Rack, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

  4. #14
    Join Date: Dec 2011

    Location: Prescott, AZ USA

    Posts: 113
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    Pretty sure that's not a wobble but an inconsistency in the machining of the edge of the platter. My stock platter didn't wobble on the stock bearing or on the Mike New bearing. The ETP platter I had wobbled on the MN bearing.

    I found this unacceptable and sold the deck after that and bought a new Lp12, been happy ever since.

    I suspect the platter in the OPs video is warped or has been dropped to exhibit that kind of movement. As it's S/H it's impossible to know the history of the deck. Also, as another member has said the bearing could not be seated properly in the 'well' of the deck. You will need to loosen the three screws holding it down and give it a bit of a wiggle (technical term) to make sure it's in the correct position.

    Agreed.

  5. #15
    Join Date: May 2015

    Location: United Kingdom

    Posts: 17
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Bit late on this but thought I'd add my experiences. I've got an MN bearing and a Funk Firm Platter. I noticed a wobble and the platter was not sitting entirely secure; what's more VTA measurements between the outer & inner of the record varied by 2.0mm or more. This resulted in tonal imbalances across the record. I mostly fixed this by re-attaching the bearing and securing all fixings. I did not realise how sensitive all these parts are! It is crucial all fixings are tightened and centered perfectly or as near as dammit. Now the VTA discrepency is in the vicinity of circa 0.5mm and the wobble is mostly gone. Not perfect, but a LOT better.

  6. #16
    Join Date: Oct 2014

    Location: SE London

    Posts: 299
    I'm Richie.

    Default

    I bought a second hand platter and there is still a small wobble, but no where near as pronounced as the one in the op

  7. #17
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 16,599
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmbug View Post
    Bit late on this but thought I'd add my experiences. I've got an MN bearing and a Funk Firm Platter. I noticed a wobble and the platter was not sitting entirely secure; what's more VTA measurements between the outer & inner of the record varied by 2.0mm or more. This resulted in tonal imbalances across the record. I mostly fixed this by re-attaching the bearing and securing all fixings. I did not realise how sensitive all these parts are! It is crucial all fixings are tightened and centered perfectly or as near as dammit. Now the VTA discrepency is in the vicinity of circa 0.5mm and the wobble is mostly gone. Not perfect, but a LOT better.
    I have a Funk mk1 platter and no wobble, also Mike New metal platter, again no wobble.

    I suspect much of this is down to incorrectly installed bearings and platters that are not lowered centred on to the bearing taper.

    There was an issue with the new Funk platter early on before the depth of the hole in the Funk platter was adjusted, it was made slightly deeper.
    Regards Neil

    System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

    System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

  8. #18
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 16,599
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    I bought a second hand platter and there is still a small wobble, but no where near as pronounced as the one in the op
    Which platter, Mike New metal, Mike New ETP, Funk mk1, Funk mk2 ?

    When folks are being critical of products they should give all the information regarding what precise items are at issue.
    Regards Neil

    System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

    System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

  9. #19
    Join Date: Oct 2014

    Location: SE London

    Posts: 299
    I'm Richie.

    Default

    a standard technics platter.

  10. #20
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 16,599
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    a standard technics platter.
    Should be no problem, have run with that option as well. Its possible the platter mounting hole is damaged if it was a roughly handled DJ deck, if from a new one I am not sure what might be wrong. I tried several Technics platters with it around about the time the issue with the Funk MK2 platter was discovered, trying to work out why it would not sit correctly on the Mike New bearing taper. As I said it was found that the hole wasn't deep enough.

    Other than that I suspect the bearing is not mounted correctly in the turntable.
    Regards Neil

    System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

    System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •