+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: platter/bearing wobble?

I'm Richie.

Default platter/bearing wobble?

Hi all,

i have a 1210 with a visible 'wobble' in the platter when spinning (viewed at a 45 degree angle). the deck is relatively new to me and is fitted with a mike new bearing.

I have tried to level the deck, using a round spirit level on the platter, but not had much joy. i can get it almost level at 3, 6, 9 & 12 if i keep the platter still, but if i take a 3, then check it at 6, 9 & 12 by leaving the level in the same place and spinning the platter through 90 degrees, it is way out.

this tells me the platter is flat, but the bearing is not straight - am i right, or is there something fundamental (and likely obvious) that i am missing?

how do i go about sorting it, if that is the case?

any advice welcome!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Video?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Richie.

[edit - it won't let me upload .mov files - i'll need to get the camera out in the morning
    Last edited by martian sunrise; 18-01-2017 at 00:32.

I'm Kevin.

It sounds like the bearing is not mounted properly to me.
    Loosen off the mounting screws and re-seat the bearing.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Richie.

it's really hard to get on video!

i'll try the bearing seat, cagey - thanks. [i hope it is easy!]

I'm Mike.

Videos on YouTube will show you how to access the bearing, nothing difficult to do.

I'm Richie.

try this...

[apologies for the shaky hands - I hadn't had my morning pint]

I'm Chris.

I have the M5G with the Mike New Bearing and noticed as the platter spins - it does wobble slightly - not too noticeable. This is likely due to the platter itself not being perfect. When I looked into this (just being completely anal) I wanted to check with other videos - and I did find one where someone was demoing their Mike New ETP Platter and Bearing- and I noticed the same amount of slight up and down in the video - very subtle but it was there. I can't imagine the bearing having anything to do with this - unless it was loose and moving around - which mine (I'm pretty sure isn't.)

I'd chalk it up to an imperfect platter.

Look closely towards the middle of the video - as he zooms in - you can see ever so slight up and down. Go full screen at about 3:27. It is minuscule - but there - just like my factory platter. I've blown it off as a fact of life.

I'm Hugo.

I would be very surprised if the MN bearing was the problem here, unless it has been damaged and having once owned a MN bearing I reckon that bending one would be heroically difficult. It is much more likely to be an inconsistent fit between the platter and bearing spindle - try removing the platter, then turn it by 90 degrees and re-seat it on the bearing. Check for wobble and if necessary repeat the process until everything looks true. With luck, that might do the trick.

If the bearing was not seated properly, the whole platter would be at a slight angle, but consistently in one direction.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    Hi all,

i have a 1210 with a visible 'wobble' in the platter when spinning (viewed at a 45 degree angle). the deck is relatively new to me and is fitted with a mike new bearing.

I have tried to level the deck, using a round spirit level on the platter, but not had much joy. i can get it almost level at 3, 6, 9 & 12 if i keep the platter still, but if i take a 3, then check it at 6, 9 & 12 by leaving the level in the same place and spinning the platter through 90 degrees, it is way out.

this tells me the platter is flat, but the bearing is not straight - am i right, or is there something fundamental (and likely obvious) that i am missing?

how do i go about sorting it, if that is the case?

any advice welcome!

I'm Kevin.

Isn't the taper on a Mike New bearing also slightly different to the original Technics profile?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast