+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Missouri.

I'm Nathan.

Default Hi from Missouri.

I'm Nathan Hall from Kansas City, Missouri. I'm mostly a rock guy, but I also love classic country. I'll listen to anything I can get my hands on, and the dollar bin is my favorite place to be. I think I've crossed the line from being a vinyl lover into a full blown hoarder. I keep a CD player, and dac around for special occasions.

I've enjoyed repairing, and building electronics my whole life. Most of my early gear was the old stuff my friends parents were replacing. I took it as trade for hooking up the new stuff.

I definitely prefer vintage gear aside from speakers. I like the look, ruggedness, and simplicity of repair. I've owned just about every brand and model aside from the high end boutique stuff at one time or another. I like working on the gear as much as listening, so my rack is constantly changing. I was just looking at a picture of my setup from last week and half of the stuff is gone already. I have never ventured into the land of boutique brands, mostly because I'm cheap. I'd rather tweak the low to midrange stuff, and wring some extra performance out of it. I like tone controls and make my own cables, so I'm not a purist.

Right now my rack consists of:
    Micro Seiki DD-35
    Mac 1700
    Marantz 2238B
    Marantz 5420
    Marantz 5001 (heavily modded)
    Homebrew TD-1541 based DAC
    Dual 1019 with a stacker for 45s
    Audio Technica LP-120 (also heavily modded). It has ended up with many spare parts from other projects and sounds amazingly​ good. It was a waste of money to upgrade it that much, but why not?
    Klipsch towers (I don't remember the model #, but they aren't the ones they sell at Best Buy).

No tubes, standalone pres, or power amps in the system right now, but they come and go.

I have three shelfs full of other gear that's not currently hooked up, and a lot more in a storage unit that I still need to restore.

I'm glad to be here. Feel free to ask away if you want to know more. I like to chat.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Hello Nathan. Welcome to AOS.

Good intro there. If you have any DIY projects on the go, they'd be nice shown in our Drawing Board section.

Take a look around the site, I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you.

Feel free to join in with the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gordan.

hey nathan, welcome to AOS. KC is one of my fav US towns. i spent a few weeks there several years ago and i discovered america i thought it's lost in vintage films. the most hospitable people you can imagine, great barbeque and some great jazz and rock clubs.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hello Nathan. Welcome to AOS.

Good intro there. If you have any DIY projects on the go, they'd be nice shown in our Drawing Board section.

Take a look around the site, I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you.

Feel free to join in with the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Thanks! I have several projects at different stages of completion. I try to scavenge, or build as many of the parts as I can, so I'm always waiting to find the next piece of something. I'll post some of them this week.

I'm Grant.

Hi and welcome Nathan. Nice hoard mate
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    hey nathan, welcome to AOS. KC is one of my fav US towns. i spent a few weeks there several years ago and i discovered america i thought it's lost in vintage films. the most hospitable people you can imagine, great barbeque and some great jazz and rock clubs.
    It's a cool town. Most people that move here are always freaked out by the friendliness. It makes them suspicious. The BBQ is the best in my opinion, but I'm biased. I just wish we had a beach.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Hi and welcome Nathan. Nice hoard mate
    Thanks. It's been better, but people keep offering me way to much for the good stuff. I always rebuild it.

I'm Grant.

Some town lol... its a big ol place at 300 sq miles.... Jim Bridger country i believe...Mountain man
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    It's a cool town. Most people that move here are always freaked out by the friendliness. It makes them suspicious. The BBQ is the best in my opinion, but I'm biased. I just wish we had a beach.
    A beach would be too much of a good thing. Still you have Ozarks!
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    A beach would be too much of a good thing. Still you have Ozarks!
    The lakes are fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast