+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is Your Favourite Group And Why?

I'm John.

Default Who Is Your Favourite Group And Why?

I think the main reason I bother to have an interest in the apparatus or musical reproduction is the actual music and artists who produce it......

So, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread about members favourite groups ( maybe this will lead to others like singers, orchestras etc who knows?)

I thought I would start with mine ..

The Beatles

(What I hope to stimulate is this section .....the why!)

To me what makes the Beatles great is the fact that all four members made a full contribution to the group.

In the early days of the band ...bands were always X and the ys and the lead was really considered to be the star......

George Martin and Brain Epstein realised quickly that this was not applicable to the Beatles , each one had plenty to bring to the table.

In the early days the Beatles , the Beatles were largely a covers band and each member brought their own personal contribution of an impersonation of a major rock and roll star.

In addition, The Beatles , had a really broad repertoire they could turn their hand to Rock and Roll, country music, soul, ballads, comedy songs and much more.......in addition the Beatles were great musicians
    As their career progressed they started to write their own material and blossomed into a wonderful band.
    Again each contributed much to the songs even though they didn’t always get the credit for it.
    Paul’ s song writing reflected romance , sensitivity , embryonic political awareness and good old rock and roll
    John’s reflected love , peace , an understanding of the human condition, politics and fantasy
    George was the spiritualist and philosopher
    And Ringo? Well all those drum parts were written by him but were totally unaccredited!

I'm Neil.

The Cure. Most bands struggle with 2x great albums, but The Cure have at least 8x of them. Also a fan of their journey and how they evolved their sound.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Rich.

Pink Floyd - Discovered them in my teens whilst in an 80s thrash metal phase. The music and lyrics struck me as profound at the time and still does now.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Mike.

There are and have been so many GREAT bands, it's tough to single out just one, all the folks that have posted before me have all come up with worthy "Greatest Band" nominees, for me though it would have to be Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody broke the mould of what a rock song should be and as a group EVERY member was capable of writing truly great songs, also when performing live Freddie Mercury controlled the audience like no other, even people that didn't like there music, liked them live.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Grant.

Indeed, a very difficult pick. Im not overly band orientated these days, preferring single artists, although obviously they have backing. I guess overall, the band that gave me more was Led Zeppelin. I do like a bit of Queen though
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Favourite group - Steely Dan.

A mate taped me their 1978 Greatest Hits album. I gave him a couple of blanks and said tape me whatever you are listening to. Never heard of them before, was hooked immediately and have remained hooked ever since. The obscure lyrics, the clever chord changes, the cynical humour and so forth. It just appeals to me on all levels, hard to say exactly why.

Led Zep I would put second favourite as they did it properly but don't listen to them so much these days.

Greatest music of all time though was Jimi Hendrix. I almost try to avoid listening to Hendrix as he makes all other music sound lame in comparison.
    Last edited by Macca; 22-01-2017 at 19:01.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ian.

I like any music that has been thought about while being created and not just churned out to fill the gaps between the silence.
    David Bowie is my number one, not only is his music clever and ageless but comes from a time when artists were free to explore by so many untried means and he was right at the front.
    I have to agree with Martin about Steely Dan. The first album I heard was Aja and I was hooked.
    There are just too many to list, different bands for different reasons but I'm always looking for my new favourite.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm John.

The Clash, greatest live band - I saw them several times in my late teens.

The time, the energy, the politics.....as they evolved from the early (great) punk sound they opened my mind to reggae, ska, rock & roll, hip-hop, world music etc.

John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Shaun.

For me it is Brand X with or without Phil Collins on drums. The precision and complexity of their playing still leaves me in absolute awe. Favourite albums are Moroccan Roll, Masques and Unorthodox Behaviour. I have all of their stuff on vinyl and quite a bit on CD as well.

I'm Martin.

I have Unorthodox, never realised it was old Phil on the drums.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast