+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Default PMC speakers - anyone use them?

I'm Ben.

Default Default PMC speakers - anyone use them?

I'm thinking about trying some PMC FB1+ speakers in my system and wondered if anyone uses them or has any experience of them in general?

They will be used with valves probably though I also have a big class A SS monster ive been playing with so that could come into play as well.

I guess my main concern is that I currently use a set of IPL transmission line speakers and im not sure if il get "better" or just something slightly "different" from the PMC's. They will be used in a medial sized lounge approx. 5 x 4m about .5m from a rear wall. My music taste is very varied so it would be preferable if they could handle everything thrown at them.

Anyway id be interested in hearing any thoughts / experiences.

cheers,

Ben
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Andrew.

My best bud has these in use with a WAD KT88 integrated.
    They take everything he throws at them and sound great. Believe you me, he really spanks them good.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    I'm thinking about trying some PMC FB1+ speakers in my system and wondered if anyone uses them or has any experience of them in general?

They will be used with valves probably though I also have a big class A SS monster ive been playing with so that could come into play as well.

I guess my main concern is that I currently use a set of IPL transmission line speakers and im not sure if il get "better" or just something slightly "different" from the PMC's. They will be used in a medial sized lounge approx. 5 x 4m about .5m from a rear wall. My music taste is very varied so it would be preferable if they could handle everything thrown at them.

Anyway id be interested in hearing any thoughts / experiences.

cheers,

Ben
    Yup, I own the TB2s. If you chopped FB1s in half you'll end up with my speakers. Fantastic. Very dynamic, detailed and emotive. They should match well with valves as well as A/B class of amplification.

Unlike normal ported speakers, PMCs Transmission line is probably closer to the accuracy of infinite baffle monitors.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm Ben.

Thanks for the comments guys, im temped to go and have a look at some local to me.......
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Dave.

If they are s/hand at a good price, then worth investigating. A better choice and more cost effective than their Twenty25 range

I'm Twisted.

I had a pair of FB1+'s for a while. They were my first 'big proper speakers'. Handsome speakers with an engaging sound.
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Craig.

I had a pair a few years back.
    I'll just say I won't be rushing to get another pair, nothing really wrong with them, but for the price I believe you can get better.

I recall people on forums saying to me 'I bet the bass is phenomenal!'
    It really wasn't, we'll certainly not in my system at the time, which was Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD and amp.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm bob.

I've got GB1 and they're very nice, but I'll upgrade them at some point. If you can get a good condition pair, in the wood you like for a decent price, and that price is your effective budget, then you can't really go far wrong, as you'll be able to move them on if and when you can spend bigger.

You can see on eBay how much they tend to go for. I'd say £500 was a very good price for a buyer, but they can go for 800 and above sometimes.

NB be aware the oak ones suffer from unequal fading if they've been used with the grilles on...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    I had a pair a few years back.
    I'll just say I won't be rushing to get another pair, nothing really wrong with them, but for the price I believe you can get better.

I recall people on forums saying to me 'I bet the bass is phenomenal!'
    It really wasn't, we'll certainly not in my system at the time, which was Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD and amp.
    It'll bpil down to system synergy. Like any component, if the speakers don't quite 'click' with the amp or vice versa, then there will be a discrepency in sound.

This is where I believe why active or powered monitors has the advantage over passive set-ups.

Also, if your amp doesn't have a sufficient quality to control a speaker, again there'll be another shortfall.

Personally speaking, my TB2is (they have the same drivers as the FB1s) sounds punchy and alive with the Leema. They really do sound the dogs.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Mine's a smaller room, using different amps and listening with different ears so this comment has no value other than to say PMC are worth an audition. It took me about 5 years to find the "right" speakers and the GB1is came closer than anything else in that search.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread