+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kman signing in

I'm Keith.

Default Kman signing in

Hi. Keith Allingham from Canada.
    I'm vintage. I'm into vintage audio gear, and listening to vintage music (but I also listen to digital music while working on the computer). I'm a bit of a Tannoy snob, and a Carver snob (but that's gradually changing).
    In real life, I'm a writer, so I spend a lot of time in my office. Therefore, I have my main audio gear in my office, along with some desktop audio.

My main audio system:
    Carver TFM-15cd power amp
    Carver CT-17 preamp & tuner
    Carver SD/A 450 SC player
    Pioneer PD M6 CD player
    Technics SL-1900 turntable
    Bang and Olufson Beogram RX2 turntable
    Carver TDR-1550 cassette player
    Technics SH GE70 graphic equalizer
    Tannoy 15" 3828 drivers with crossovers & custom 16x25x48 teak cabinets
    Akai 4000DS reel-to-reel tape player
    Wollensak 8-track player
    more activity on this system as we speak:
    - changing out the preamp soon
    - troubleshooting a channel cut-out problem (probably my power amp - and I just sold my backup amp!!)
    - looking into a peramp input extender solution
    - looking for Tannoy Arden Mk2 cabinets

My desktop audio system:
    Creating Sound Blaster 5.1 sound card (low-end)
    SMSL SA-98A desktop power amp
    Tannoy 609 "desktop" speakers

My AV system:
    Kenwood VR616 5.1 receiver
    Tannoy 615 front channel speakers
    Tannoy Saturn S6C center channel speaker
    Tannoy CP5A rear channel speakers
    DIY 15" Cerwin-Vega based passive subwoofer
    Panasonic 50" Vieta TC-P50U1 plasma TV (still decent for hockey and baseball)
    Scientific Atlanta 8300HD tuner decoder
    Sony BDP S360 BluRay player
    Pioneer PD M60 CD player
    Slingbox M2

My family room / dining room system:
    Pioneer VSX-920 receiver
    Tannoy Chertsey 12" 3128 main speakers
    Tannoy Di5 indoor-outdoor patio speakers
    Pioneer PD DM802 CD player
    more activity on this system as we speak:
    - looking for Tannoy Cheviot Mk2 cabinets & cross-overs

Several pieces of "backup" gear as well.
    I'll post a bunch of pics once I figure that part out...
    ( I think I attached my desktop setup...)
    Kman desktop 609s.jpg

I'm Grant.

Hi Keith, welcome to aoS. An impressive list of gear there. How do you find the smsl amp? have heard mixed things...
    anyway enjoy the forum
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Keith. Welcome to AOS.

That's a fair selection of equipment you have there. Glad to see another Tannoy fan, there are quite a few here. I'm actually using 3128 Cheviot II speakers myself.

Tell us what music you listen to and what further plans you may have for your Hi-Fi.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm Keith.

Thanks Grant. Still figuring this little SMSL amp out. It behaved very well with my Tannoy Mercury F1 speakers. I was having trouble selling my 609s, so I decided to make them my desktop speakers. They aren't playing as nicely with the little amp, even at low levels. I used the iTunes equalizer to get the best out of the F1's, but that caused clipping issues with the 609's - they're a little more sensitive. Straightened that out (flattened it a bit with just a bit of low end boost). That worked. But yesterday I had it running for several hours, and after a while there was something else going audio-wise on that I didn't like. Can't tell what yet. Still a work in progress...

I'm Keith.

Thanks Geoff.
    Other than the plans I listed, I'm looking at swapping out my Carver preamp for one that will let me connect 2 MM turntables without a switch box (hate those things). Found a nice Technics SU-9070, but the guy wants way too much for it. So I'm looking at other options. A couple of Yamaha preamps (C2 and C50) would do the trick (they're pretty dear too), plus a few other types. Right now I may go for a cool SAE TWO preamp I saw down at the used gear shop in town...

I'm Keith.

Music I like:
    Maybe I should list what I don't like :-)
    I'm almost 60, so I have some affinity for a lot of 60s music, lots from the 70s and 80s, a wee bit from the 90s and later.
    I'm even starting to like some C&W music -- I said some...
    Starting to like some older 50s stuff now too.
    I used to like lots of hard rock - I still love it, but I'm enjoying some softer stuff and even some psychedelic 60s stuff as well.
    I can no longer listed to some of the 80s pop music that I loved so much (Black Cars, Neutron Dance, etc.), but still enjoy less noisy, poppy stuff.
    I'll share some play lists here soon...

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithA0000 View Post
    Thanks Grant. Still figuring this little SMSL amp out. It behaved very well with my Tannoy Mercury F1 speakers. I was having trouble selling my 609s, so I decided to make them my desktop speakers. They aren't playing as nicely with the little amp, even at low levels. I used the iTunes equalizer to get the best out of the F1's, but that caused clipping issues with the 609's - they're a little more sensitive. Straightened that out (flattened it a bit with just a bit of low end boost). That worked. But yesterday I had it running for several hours, and after a while there was something else going audio-wise on that I didn't like. Can't tell what yet. Still a work in progress...
    Amp might not have enough guts for the dual concentrics which although more sensitive than the Mercury, need a little more current. Ive a chip amp that doesnt like harder to drive speakers even though its rated at fairly high wattage. Think they often just make these figures up with some amps. lol. The little mercuries are good for desktop duties
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Amp might not have enough guts for the dual concentrics which although more sensitive than the Mercury, need a little more current. Ive a chip amp that doesnt like harder to drive speakers even though its rated at fairly high wattage. Think they often just make these figures up with some amps. lol. The little mercuries are good for desktop duties
    True enough. I found that if I completely flattened the iTunes equalizer, the 609s sound fine with the little amp. Haven't had an issue since. Except that the 609s are really too big for my desk!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Keith. Welcome to AOS.

Impressive intro there.

"Tannoy snob" I like that. Me too ! Seriously though, they do offer that little 'magic something' that I personally just don't hear elsewhere. Never tried Carver, but they do have a following.

You will find that you have much in common with our members, so take a look around and feel free to join in the chat or start your own threads.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast