+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DBX 3BX Mod?

I'm Geoff.

Default DBX 3BX Mod?

Hello.

I have a DBX 3BX multiband expander that I would like to change into a multiband compressor. Since they basically work on opposing principles I imagine that it might be a relatively simple thing to do? I know it can be done as I have seen modded ones for sale on the auction site whose name shall not be spoken. There is a place in the States that will do the mod for me...but it seems a bit daft to send it all the way over there and, with the strength (or weakness!) of the £ at the moment, it's not a good time to do so. So, what do you reckon? Here's a schematic I found online...

I'm Chris.

Just use the compression half. I do not have a 3BX manual in front of me but the usual
    labelling is From Console , To Tape Rec - this is the compression half
    exit your needed compression here.

The expansion half is usually From Tape Out , to Console.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Geoff.

Alas, it isn't a 'compander' like the 117/118/119 (which I own/have owned, well, I'm selling the 118 & 119 currently) where there's both, which I could use as compressors. This unit only expands, apparently...

I'm Charlie.

If you;re looking a a pro NR system, why not get a Dolby 363 unit with Dolby A/SR cards (Spectral Recording)? This was an industry standard in the 90s with plenty of units available at a reasonable price.

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    If you;re looking a a pro NR system, why not get a Dolby 363 unit with Dolby A/SR cards (Spectral Recording)? This was an industry standard in the 90s with plenty of units available at a reasonable price.
    +1I would not waste time with dBx which as an NR system is basically crap in my opinion, though I like their compressors for some recordings. There are loads of SR units available which are great, though my preference was alway good tape at 30 ups no N/R

I'm Geoff.

I'm not looking for noise reduction. I'm looking for an analogue multiband compressor for my recording studio to put my sampled breakbeats thru! Project studio compression is generally what these old DBX units are used for these days as they can get a similar flavour to that of the 160vu at about 15% of the price .

I'm Chris.

Here is a link to the DBX 3BX manual http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_doc...l_original.pdf

Refer to Page 3 you will see From Preamp Tape Out - this is from your source that needs compression .... then see To Preamp tape input this is a compressed audio signal
    so view this connection as your output - you will likely have some emphasis added to that signal as well, but you should be able to use the 3 BX with some front panel
    adjustments, as your compressor.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Geoff.

Oh yeah, you were right, of course. It doesn't mention compression on it anywhere and had read about the compression mod, so just assumed. The clue was in the fact that the LEDs also had ones for MINUS 12dB, LOL.

So, I went back and read what the guy said and the mod is therefore to add controls for the amount of compression for each band and individual controls so you can either compress or expand the bands individually. I'll probably send it off anyway then as that'll all be useful for my purposes.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread