+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Used CD players fetching crazy prices !

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael loves music View Post
    ICarol Kirkwood BBC breakfast weather lady with a warm front
    LOL
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Ooops. Clearly being sold by a con artist. Slips that line into the description to cover himself when the buyer realises they've been had.
    Yes cheeky devil

I'm Joe.

Picked up a Sony CDP557ESD with working remote for <£200.00 a couple of months ago.
    Lovely condition and weighs in at 18kgs - built like a battleship!
    Now with Trichord to fit the clock 4 and NC PSU.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kings View Post
    Picked up a Sony CDP557ESD with working remote for <£200.00 a couple of months ago.
    Lovely condition and weighs in at 18kgs - built like a battleship!
    Now with Trichord to fit the clock 4 and NC PSU.
    Bit of bargain there. I need to find something like that.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Neil.

There is a Marantz CD12 listed on EBay at the minute BIN £2000 which is sort of what I expect. Do I think that's a fair price, worth it ? Probably not, but the market dictates that these go for that sort of money. Seller won't ship, so no boxes and no transit bolts (vital). The main problem with these is laser failure and chip failure. Chips still obtainable, but CDM1 mechanisms are getting harder to find.

If it was cheaper I might give it ago, but my Marantz CD94 mk2 comes pretty close and I am fairly sure my Marantz CD7 is better, but the Marantz CD12 is an itch I would love to scratch but not at that kind of money, especially when the items provenance isn't known.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Agree difficulty of repair or finding spares should have reduced the price of the old flagship players to reasonable levels by now, but they keep clinging on.

Please everyone, sod off to streaming so I can buy these things for pennies.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Agree difficulty of repair or finding spares should have reduced the price of the old flagship players to reasonable levels by now, but they keep clinging on.

Please everyone, sod off to streaming so I can buy these things for pennies.
    When CDs are no longer made, maybe then the prices will crash, probably not though.
    Regards Neil

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    There is a Marantz CD12 listed on EBay at the minute BIN £2000 which is sort of what I expect. Do I think that's a fair price, worth it ? Probably not, but the market dictates that these go for that sort of money. Seller won't ship, so no boxes and no transit bolts (vital). The main problem with these is laser failure and chip failure. Chips still obtainable, but CDM1 mechanisms are getting harder to find.

If it was cheaper I might give it ago, but my Marantz CD94 mk2 comes pretty close and I am fairly sure my Marantz CD7 is better, but the Marantz CD12 is an itch I would love to scratch but not at that kind of money, especially when the items provenance isn't known.
    The CD12 is one heck of a cdp, always referred in the 'best of' category, never heard one though. It was a lot of dosh when it came out and is one of those pieces that will probably always go for big numbers.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    The CD12 is one heck of a cdp, always referred in the 'best of' category, never heard one though. It was a lot of dosh when it came out and is one of those pieces that will probably always go for big numbers.
    It sold for £2500 new. I was in the trade then and the shop I worked in sold two if I recall right and there was a competition give away and someone got one FOC. Back in the late 80s.

Certainly in its day it was very good as was the Sony R1, and a few other two box players but at the time most reviewers felt the CD94mk 2 came very close as did the CD95. Never heard or seen a CD95 or the other derivatives of the CD94 casework - there were a few.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 25-02-2017 at 11:49.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345