+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Used CD players fetching crazy prices !

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    thats cause you an ES whore! lol
    Lmao. I am.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Me too! It's a shame there so bloody expensive!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    Me too! It's a shame there so bloody expensive!
    Lol. Yes. But they are worth the money IMO. I haven't been disappointed in any way with the amp or CD player.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm richard.

I sold my Electrocompaniet last year, as it was hardly used. In the end, after advertising it well on a famous auction suite, it sold for relative peanuts.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm Martin.

Thing is people in the hobby know Electrocompaniet but Joe Punter on eBay doesn't. He's heard of Linn and Naim and the big Jap brands but that's it. That fact alone can keep prices down on the more niche brands.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic penguin View Post
    I sold my Electrocompaniet last year, as it was hardly used. In the end, after advertising it well on a famous auction suite, it sold for relative peanuts.
    Sadly despite being good, there is very little desirability cache with Electrocompaniet kit, especially the CD players. The only collectable Electrocompaniet is the first amp/pre they made. http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/artic...-vintage/10017

Other than that, its a meh situation, solid designs but not that exciting + their business model when they entered the UK market a few years ago wasn't one that put pressure on retailers to promote the brand or be that passionate - Electrocompaniet basically rented the demo stock to the retailers, rather that the retailers buy it. Buying stock puts a whole different emphasis on a brand, rather than something to fill the shelves with.

No idea what the business model is now, but back pre 2008 that was how it was done.

There are plenty of other better brands out there that also fall fowl of a lack of interest, desirability factor, and used market resale values suffer, or they don't sell.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nathan.

I think it's funny that you can buy huge lots of CDs for next to nothing, and price wars are breaking out over 90's CD players.

Some of them are worth the price, bit most of them aren't. I saw a "vintage" Technics 100 disc changer listed on Craigslist for $350 a few days ago. I doubt it sold.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

CD s might be cheaper in the States but in the UK prices seem to have stabilised. New releases are still ten quid or more. I speculated a couple of years ago on here that they wouldn't be able to give them away by now. Ah well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Cd players alas are often fragile and rarely are spare parts for them after a few years. It does make buying second hand a minefield if paying any money. Thats why i use old cheap dvd players. Some of them without hdmi go for peanuts now, and were very well made with quality audio circuits. Think in some ways to growth in streaming will help cd stay as a medium. Its also driven the vinyl explosion i think,
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A Philips CD100 player recently went for £300! I heard this player shortly after CDs appeared on the market. It sounded awful in my opinion, so did the CD101, which was little better. It wasn't until the advent of the CD104, that CDs started to sound listenable.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast