+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Used CD players fetching crazy prices !

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Sadly despite being good, there is very little desirability cache with Electrocompaniet kit, especially the CD players. The only collectable Electrocompaniet is the first amp/pre they made. http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/artic...-vintage/10017
    That first amp: "The Two Channel Audio Amplifier" was wonderful. It was a fabulous amp with which to drive Quad 57 ESLs. The only difficulty was it had a lower than usual input impedance, so required a pre-amp with an output impedance of no more than 75Ohm; which was rare at the time.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I don't know. But I had a good long listen to a Sony CD1 and it was very good, as much as I could tell through an unfamiliar system (Halfler pre, huge HK valve power amp and Radford transmission lines)
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't know. But I had a good long listen to a Sony CD1 and it was very good, as much as I could tell through an unfamiliar system (Halfler pre, huge HK valve power amp and Radford transmission lines)
    I was talking about a Philips CD player, though since Sony and Philips co-developed the CD you would have thought the two machines might sound similar.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

That's what I am saying I suppose. But never heard the Phillips so can't comment.

I guess your system was pretty much the same as now? I suppose the vintage valves and speakers system might have flattered the Sony a bit. They still fetch a high price though. The build is superb.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

It's not just CD player prices that are creeping up. I've noticed that MiniDisc units seem to be doing the same.

About time too really in my view. I got the impression that MiniDisc was underappreciated when it hit the market.

I bought a new Pioneer MJ-D707 about twenty years ago and it's a lovely, versatile bit of kit. The sound quality really is vastly better than any cassette deck I've heard.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    CD s might be cheaper in the States but in the UK prices seem to have stabilised. New releases are still ten quid or more. I speculated a couple of years ago on here that they wouldn't be able to give them away by now. Ah well.
    I bought two boxes with 800 in each for $35 bucks a piece. They are missing the jewel cases, but I always put them into binders anyway.

I bought a lot of 120 new ones still in the cellophane for $40. I traded most of those in for credit at the record store.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Yep that is cheap. Agree the jewel cases are kak anyway. Not seen any deals like that here.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I was talking about a Philips CD player, though since Sony and Philips co-developed the CD you would have thought the two machines might sound similar.
    Initially the Sony was very like nails down a blackboard as were the early Pioneer efforts.

I'm Adrian.

A long long time ago I went out with a wad of cash with the intention of buying the new fangled Phillips CD player I'd seen on Tomorrows World. I sat and I listened and I quickly bought a Pink Triangle set up. It was an appalling sounding machine though looked very cool. I didn't look at CD Players until many years later when I heard and bought a Roksan ....

Still regret selling it...

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Michael.

Philips CD players fetching very good prices on eBay now and not just CD players speakers and amps !! Is it with records making a come back ???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast