+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB250 counterweight upgrade.

I'm Rich.

Default RB250 counterweight upgrade.

Hi,

I have read a lot about what a worthwhile upgrade the counterweight can be on an RB250.

It's fitted on a maple Roksan Radius 5, I'm hoping to be using my Linn Adikt cart, if not maybe cart suggestion for around £200 welcome too.

I've seen the Isokinetik and Xtc weights on eBay but would welcome any thoughts and suggestions.

Regards

Rich.

I'm Geoff.

If you opt for a cartridge, Gary is selling a decent Audio Technica here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...992#post823992
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you opt for a cartridge, Gary is selling a decent Audio Technica here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...992#post823992
    Thank you, my only experience of AT cartridges is the 95e, one of which is on the deck currently.

I do hope my Adikt will go on the arm as it has musical and sentimental value.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    Hi,

I have read a lot about what a worthwhile upgrade the counterweight can be on an RB250.

It's fitted on a maple Roksan Radius 5, I'm hoping to be using my Linn Adikt cart, if not maybe cart suggestion for around £200 welcome too.

I've seen the Isokinetik and Xtc weights on eBay but would welcome any thoughts and suggestions.

Regards

Rich.
    While I have no experience with the RB250 the Isokinetik upgrade counterweight produced a significant improvement in the SQ on my Jelco 750 (tighter bass and better focus)
    Always a little further

I'm Dave.

A counterweight replacement will bring about a small change, not guaranteed to make an improvement. To fit these after market counterweights, you will have to change the end stub of the RB250.

I'm Rich.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a Michell tecnoweight. I thought the only way I'm really going to gain experience and a bit of knowledge is to try things, this way I can now pass on my first hand experience on the subject too.
    Last edited by stairpost; 16-01-2017 at 12:25.

I'm Simon.

I'm using an Adikt cart on an RB300 so reckon you'll be fine with it on the 250.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    I'm using an Adikt cart on an RB300 so reckon you'll be fine with it on the 250.
    It fitted like a dream, and was pretty spot on with the little card alignment guide I have too.

I've ordered a set of shims to adjust the arm height though as it's a much deeper cart.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    A counterweight replacement will bring about a small change, not guaranteed to make an improvement. To fit these after market counterweights, you will have to change the end stub of the RB250.
    Hi Dave - As you are a long standing Rega dealer (and you sold me a RP3/2M bronze a while back) do you have any experience of that change on the RB303 or other changes like the sub-platter changes ?. thanks Richard

I'm Dave.

The only changes I have noticed with a counterweight change is due to the change in moving mass. If it was a unipivot arm ,the changes would be more audible.

If the sub platter is as well engineered as the Rega standard, then once again, it should make a small change. Unfortunately, a couple I have seen have been poorly finished. Personally, I would spend the money on a Rega TT power supply and white belt, because they are an improvement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast