+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going digital with your turntable

Default Going digital with your turntable

One of the things I frequently get asked by knowledgebale visitors is how come I play my turntable through my DAC when the DAC has no analogue input. I tend not to answer the question.
    But it's that time of the year when I take my equipment off the rack in order to give everything a good clean. So I decided to wire up my turntable setup on a table and take some pictures for you guys to see how I do it. Please note that this method of connection will work with most DACs.

The turntable phono connectors are connected to a phono preamp, which is connected to an A to D converter, which is then connected to a digital input on the DAC.
    One thing to note is that a TT signal to noise ratio is about 70dB. A 16 bit analogue to digital converter is 90 dB or better. So the A to D converter can also pick up some hum and noise from the TT. However, with a bit of careful grounding and equipment positioning, most of this can be ironed out.
    The above A to D converter was sold by Maplin under part number QQ82. I am not sure if they still have them, but I mention it for reference.

The A to D converter in the above picture is the one I prefer. It has a sync rec switch, which seems to interact with the zero signal detect function on the Caiman and TC-7520. Thsi mutes the turntable in between vinyl tracks.

The 2nd A to D converter I have found is one I had to get from the US. See picture.
    It is not as good as the first A to D, but it does the job quite well.

How does it all sound? Well, the setup is quite good and detailed, with no loss of quality if you are using a decent A to D converter. It's a novel way of listening to your vinyl collection if you do not have an analogue preamp, but do have access to a DAC with a variable analogue output.

I'm Nobody.

Is that an Ariston 'RD40'?

Intresting as i have a lot of vinyl albums that havent seen the CD issues yet, id rather record manually like this & into CD Recorder like the HHB '830' than PC wise
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-03-2010 at 03:19.

It is an Ariston with improved modified legs by John Coleman.

If you are thinking of recording the vinyl and you got a laptop, you should consider getting a Sound Blaster X-FI Notebook sound card It has an optical input, and you can download recording software from te manufacturer.
    Connect the A to D converter optical output to the X-FI optical input, and you then have an easy and cheap digital connection. It can record in 24 bit.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post

If you are thinking of recording the vinyl and you got a laptop, you should consider getting a Sound Blaster X-FI Notebook sound card It has an optical input, and you can download recording software from te manufacturer.
    Connect the A to D converter optical output to the X-FI optical input, and you then have an easy and cheap digital connection. It can record in 24 bit.
    Ah right it was you he did them for was it, saw those legs when he was making em last year, did me some feet aswell for another job..

I'm Nobody.

I'll look into one of those on the cheap..Dunno if you know Lavry but they are top notch, the DAC's are brilliant..

http://www.lavryengineering.com/index_html.html

I'm Nobody.

Just thought on Stan wouldnt this be an easier all round option

http://www.sonneteer.co.uk/sedley.htm

There are a wide range of options, as shown on the Maplin site HERE.
    However, USB ability is limited to 16 bit/48KHz. So if you wish to experiment with higher recording bits, you'll have to look at optical or coax based connection methods.

I'm Nobody.

There are a wide range of options, as shown on the Maplin site HERE.
    However, USB ability is limited to 16 bit/48KHz. So if you wish to experiment with higher recording bits, you'll have to look at optical or coax based connection methods.
    Yeh just stick a USB to S/PDIF convertor in the back..24/96 bombs away..

I'm Clive.

So is it the USB in DACs that are restricted to 16/48 whereas the USB port in the computer transmitting the datastream can output higher?

I ask as the statements are usually USB is restricted to 16/48, if this is so then USB to S/PDIF wouldn't help. Just trying to understand......

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    So is it the USB in DACs that are restricted to 16/48 whereas the USB port in the computer transmitting the datastream can output higher?

I ask as the statements are usually USB is restricted to 16/48, if this is so then USB to S/PDIF wouldn't help. Just trying to understand......
    You are restricted to 48kHz with USB..You connect a USB to S/PDIF converter that will allow 24/96 if you want it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast