+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your- Social Class?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Did you pick up my West London accent on the phone?

S.
    Yes, he thought it was sexy.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    No. But I was surprised (I hope you'll not mind my mentioning it) that it mattered enough to you to PM to ask me that at the time!

I tend to get a bit confused about my accent. Hence why I asked. Sometimes, I guess it's how the listener perceives you as well.

S.

I'm Rich.

Mum owned a business and dad was a welder so I guess both middle and working class parents. Both my sister and I went to university, her at the parents expense, me at my own. Professional/managerial by occupation. Still live in working class town, I'm the only one with a degree (or two ) amongst my close pals.

By traditional measures of education, profession, home ownership, culture I guess that makes me middle class. Doesn't really mean anything though does it, I've friends far wealthier and with a higher standard of living than I who've come from jobless backgrounds and have no formal education.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    One of the best shows of true morality and sense of knowing yourselves was a couple of lines from the play and film Hobson,s Choice. Done good Will Mossop tries to take off his wifes brass wedding ring and get her a gold one. She replies...

Think ive quoted it right...excuse the double inverts. Doh

Sums up what people who rise in world should remember.
    Excellent quote. There's WAY too much mania with money and material possessions these days (what 'status' that gives you), and what folk think they're automatically 'entitled to'...

Yes, it's nice to have nice things, providing you can *genuinely* afford them, but there are far more important things in life than that, such as health, happiness and contentment [the satisfaction of being happy with 'your lot'], being a good parent (if applicable), and not insignificantly, having TIME to do WHAT you want, WHEN *YOU* want, with no-one breathing down your neck, forcing you to do things you don't want to do [the joys of being self-employed or retired]...

*That*, for me, is worth negating a £1m salary for, if earning said salary meant having the exact opposite, and being stressed to buggery in the process!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I tend to get a bit confused about my accent. Hence why I asked. Sometimes, I guess it's how the listener perceives you as well.
    Try some heavy-breathing next time. He likes that... Oh, and if you can bark like a dog, on command, that'll *really* get him going!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm John.

I have watched this thread with interest ....I think Marco's comment is a good comment.......he hits the nail right on the head .....it's not what you have ...or what you say that shows who or what you are......it's what you do in life and how you treat others.........

Precisely - that's the biggest indicator of 'class' of all!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Try some heavy-breathing next time. He likes that... Oh, and if you can bark like a dog, on command, that'll *really* get him going!!

Marco.

Those are indeed some very good tips! Are you an ex male stripper?

S.

I'm Jez.

Whilst not a class thing maybe in the traditional meaning of it, I'll admit to being a bit of a snob in that yes I look down on yer inner city council estate, thick, chav type.... You'll know the type, can't get one sentence out without multiple swear words, life seems to revolve around footie, the dogs and whose " 'ardest"... often seem to be coked out of their brains such is their natural "nervous, energy"/agitation (a friend calls them "jumpy Jacks" which seems to fit well!). I try to avoid offending such types (I don't consciously want to offend them!) by saying little and trying to distance myself physically as soon as I can without making it too obvious.... but close friends have imparted to me that when in the company of such types my body language, facial expressions and tone of voice make it only too clear as to what I think of them... and that it doesn't go down well to put it mildly!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Those are indeed some very good tips! Are you an ex male stripper?

S.
    No, I operate a sex-chat line from home. Do you want the number?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast