+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Cost Linear PSU for Temple Audio Monoblocks?

I'm Alan.

Have sent you a PM.

Regards,
    Alan.
    Sony PS-6750 Turntable, Sony CDP-X555ES CD Player, Sansui TU-717 Tuner, Vortexbox Music Server, Caiman SEG DAC with LDA Linear PSU, Squeezebox Touch with LDA Linear PSU, Accuphase E-302 Integrated Amplifier, PMC GB1i Speakers, MG G2000HD & G1500HD Interconnects, Van Damme 6mm Hi-Fi Speaker Cables.

Bedroom system: Squeezebox Touch with LDA Linear PSU, Quad FM4 Tuner, DCB-1 Turbo with Acoustic Dimensions switched attenuator, Quad 306 Amplifier, Rega RS1 Speakers. TV & DVD, Caiman MKII DAC with Baldwin Audio Linear PSU. MG G1500HD Interconnects, Fisual S-Flex 4mm Speaker Cables.

Back Bedroom Work Bench: Denon TU-260L Mk2 Tuner, Denon PMA-355UK Amplifier, Mission 780SE Speakers.

RothwellAudio Guest

70W from a 16V power supply???? It doesn't matter how many amps it will deliver, you won't get 70W from a single 16V power supply.

So what am I missing?

I'm Alan.

It's probably a BTL (bridge tied load) scenario Andrew, plus max rated output into 4 ohms, for both channels ?

I'm Alastair.

In the end, I decided that Linear PSUs were not going to do it - at least affordably - so I have gone back to a battery. A LiFePO4 - or Lithium Iron Phosphate to its friends - not to be confused with LiPo, as Lithium Polymer is sometimes confusingly written. They are used for high starting current applications like golf carts and motorbikes. Compared to Lithium Polymers, they are much less susceptible to causing fires. Compared to Lead Acid batteries they hold the charge much longer, can deliver higher instantaneous peaks, have a flat discharge profile, have a higher depth of discharge, last much longer (1400 cycles) and are much lighter. The downside is they are much more expensive (~4x) than equivalent Lead Acid batteries and ~2x more than the equivalent Lithium Polymers (a 23500 mAH Li Polymer is only roughly equivalent to 7AH @ 12V).

I am using a 16 AH 12V (actually 12.8V) Tracer battery pack. It is in a nice black and grey package so does not look out of place in a domestic setting. It has a charge-level meter and built-in protection for short circuit, over current , over charging, deep discharge and over temperature. It came with a dedicated LiFePO4 charger (essential).

The sound is excellent and I have never heard my system give such a broad and deep expanse of sound. Due to the lower voltage (12.8V vs. 16V), I had to use the red gain setting on the Temple Monoblocs rather than the blue. It also sounds great powering my Caiman SEG DAC.
    Last edited by Alp; 11-02-2017 at 11:29.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12