+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current (2017) DACs

I'm Dave.

Default Current (2017) DACs

Having spotted hints at recommendations for good/better DACs recently I wonder if we could do a quick survey, up to, say £2k - though don't mind higher as well.

I've seen mention of AN DACS and Audiolab M-DAC and M-DAC+ and Monarchy Audio DACs recently on other threads. I guess I could afford up to £1k for a new DAC if I really thought it would help. Currently I'm still using a Beresford Caiman, which is certainly serviceable.

Another make which attracted my attention a few years ago, and recommended I think by a member from the US who has not posted for some while, was Schiit - claimed to be very good, and in a different league from baseline models.
    Dave

I'm Will.

I've an upgraded MDAC and am very happy with it...however this thread on pfm caught my eye...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...light=brooklyn

...there are several posters who rate the Mytek Brooklyn over their upgraded MDACs, and it's certainly within your budget
    Cheers, Will

I'm Gary.

Second hand could open up a few tasty options?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

+1 for the Mdac+ excellent Sabre 9018 dac, DSD capable, choice of balanced and single ended outs and the chance to use it as a decent preamp so removing a separate link in the chain, a friend has one and for the money IMO it's well worth an audition.
    We are the love we leave behind.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Having spotted hints at recommendations for good/better DACs recently I wonder if we could do a quick survey, up to, say £2k - though don't mind higher as well. Currently I'm still using a Beresford Caiman, which is certainly serviceable.
    The Caiman SEG is a huge step up from the MKII. Just PM me if you want to try the two side by side.

I'm Rich.

Arcam irDAC2.

Sounds nice and natural, loads of inputs, can be used as digital preamp. 400 quids new.

Sure that an improved PSU would yield greater results from it. A mate is modifying a bench psu for mine. Will report back when I get it installed.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Geoff.

It's a shame Monarchy Audio DACs are no longer available, as they are very good. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...lifier/?page=2

Any DAC from Monarchy Audio is worth grabbing. I have two, an M22B and M22C and have yet to hear anything sounding better in my system.

If you just need a basic optical or digital RCA input they won't disappoint. Neither will a Theta, by the way. I got through a few of those too and they deliver fine sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Arcam irDAC2.

Sounds nice and natural, loads of inputs, can be used as digital preamp. 400 quids new.

Sure that an improved PSU would yield greater results from it. A mate is modifying a bench psu for mine. Will report back when I get it installed.
    Sorry Rich, haven't done it yet, just haven't had time - too busy at work and am working this weekend too. :-(
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Sorry Rich, haven't done it yet, just haven't had time - too busy at work and am working this weekend too. :-(
    No probs mate. The Arcam dac has really gone up in my estimation having lived with it for a while now so I'm pretty interested to see what the PSU will do for it,
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm gordan.

it really depends on what is your source. if you can do a PC streaming via a PCM to DSD converting software, the only game changing concept are DSD-converters.

lampizator DSD is exactly 2k and nothing can touch its superb sound quality which is impossible to get nowhere near its ballpark. it has a few minor issues you need to live with but nothing dramatic, as ficus himself said it is nowhere near washing records or dialing in a vinyl bias, azimuth etc.

the sounds is completely sensational for standards of digital reproduction, the closest to a natural sound you can get for the money. for me it is one of the first digital products that seriously questions a feasibility of analog reproduction, it is that good.

you don't need any of the upmarket versions with this and that output tube, DHTs, these and those rectifiers... a plain basic lampi DSD does the job.

most of the current crop of the DACs are forensically precise and detailed but they are quite disconnected from the music. hopefully someone will be able to overcome this common issue. i had young, M-DAC and a few other - they all had to go.

i noticed a number of chinese DSD boards based on a similar XMOS chip. i guess you can emulate lampi's product but you need to know what you are doing. if yes, you can knock it for about 200-300 quid max.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast