+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice

I'm ian.

Default Looking for advice

Hi
    Any ideas would be most helpful
    I would like to put together a system at my girlfriends home.
    The room is 7x5x2.5 (lwh)and will fire up the room
    I have some Canary 300b pp monoblocks and Tonian Labs TL-D1 speakers.
    The speakers are rare over herebut sound (to my ears)superb.
    The cabinets are tuned like a musical instrument and are described by the designer as semi open baffle and are 95db.
    I have a Lector cd player at my daughters that I can also make use of.
    I am looking for suggestions for a preamp in the £1500 range(used)
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated
    Cheers all
    Ian

I'm Matthew.

Might be worth having a chat with Kevin, at definitive.

I'm Dave.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I liked using a passive pre when I was using 300b's, and still do with my Set 40 (211) my speakers are similar sensitivity however my room is much smaller so you may need something to give the power a lift.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Lawrence.

If features like remote and tape loop are not required I would suggest trying a passive. They won't work with every system but can be found cheap (e.g. Tisbury) and are handy to have as a spare pre anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm ian.

Default Preamp

Thanks for all the advice
    Ian

I'm Adrian.

It totally depends on the passive used, the grunt going into it and the impedance after it. In my opinion stay away from conventional pots of any kind. They will not exhibit the transparency of a transformer based passive. Likewise ordinary transformer based passives don't exhibit the same dynamic range as autoformers at low listening levels. My phonostage runs straight into the Slagle and drives the Cary 805c's to full volume with ease - but, I never need to listen further than around 10 to the hour as even at very low levels, and with the Audio Notes 92db , my room is filled with dynamic, wideband music. This is the hallmark of a good autoformer.

You have many choices - but having gone the Alps pot/stepped resistor/transformer/autoformer route I know my preference.

One that I haven't tried is the Tribute transformer control which is beautifully crafted and said to be very very good as well as being very easy to house yourself as it looks like and connects up like a typical pot - it's actually stunning to behold, and is within your budget.

The Slagle copper autoformers are about €350 and awesome but they also need housing. Well worth it though. The modules are easy to connect up.

The Music first, in my opinion, isn't worth the huge price over the Slagle. I tried the Baby reference and it didn't match the Slagles liquidity.

You have a lot to think about - but as long as you're front end can drive it, you shouldn't have anything but a grin on your face if you go the autoformer route. Your amps will be the standard input impedance I should imagine - so no probs.

Just my opinions of course.
    Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    It totally depends on the passive used, the grunt going into it and the impedance after it. In my opinion stay away from conventional pots of any kind. They will not exhibit the transparency of a transformer based passive. Likewise ordinary transformer based passives don't exhibit the same dynamic range as autoformers at low listening levels. My phonostage runs straight into the Slagle and drives the Cary 805c's to full volume with ease - but, I never need to listen further than around 10 to the hour as even at very low levels, and with the Audio Notes 92db , my room is filled with dynamic, wideband music. This is the hallmark of a good autoformer.

You have many choices - but having gone the Alps pot/stepped resistor/transformer/autoformer route I know my preference.

One that I haven't tried is the Tribute transformer control which is beautifully crafted and said to be very very good as well as being very easy to house yourself as it looks like and connects up like a typical pot - it's actually stunning to behold, and is within your budget.

The Slagle copper autoformers are about €350 and awesome but they also need housing. Well worth it though. The modules are easy to connect up.

The Music first, in my opinion, isn't worth the huge price over the Slagle. I tried the Baby reference and it didn't match the Slagles liquidity.

You have a lot to think about - but as long as you're front end can drive it, you shouldn't have anything but a grin on your face if you go the autoformer route. Your amps will be the standard input impedance I should imagine - so no probs.

Just my opinions of course.
    Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Just to confuse the OP my advice is the exact opposite of everything said above I'm afraid.... Don't use transformers as they are another unneeded component in the chain which have their own colouration , distortion etc. I'm strongly against the use of transformers anywhere but power supplies BTW...

This should do the trick nicely if going the passive route http://www.khozmo.com/stereo_selector.html
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Grant.

be inclined to think about a croft initially too as they are easily resalable if you dont like it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

The khozmo has been compared many times to various transformer based passives and whilst way better than the ubiquitous Alps blue pot it couldn't compete on transparency or dynamics. Like all pots it's curve isn't linear in the sense that it's performance changes depending on its position - like all pots it needs cranking before dynamics come through. Autoformers have this even at barely audible levels.

There is certainly no zero distortion with my volume control, that I can detect. Neither is there veiling or erratic performance based on position.

I would have thought that logic says a single run of wire (transformer) introduces less distortion than switched, stepped resistor type pots or wiper type - hence the need to deoxit them every now and again.

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers