+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nwbo?

I'm Paul.

Now you are obviously taking the mickey... cats don't purr from a special throat pouch
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    No Dom and Nat - both ill
    Ah, shame.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rich.

Now you are obviously taking the mickey... cats don't purr from a special throat pouch
    Oh but they do, I have asked both my cats and neither of them denied it.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Ben.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DegjHsdWPQM

Paul see what you thinkmif this, hopefully this will grow on you! But maybe not lol
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DegjHsdWPQM

Paul see what you thinkmif this, hopefully this will grow on you! But maybe not lol
    Okey dokey.... don't take it personally though
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Ben.

Okey dokey.... don't take it personally though
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    5 mins in so far..... when does it start?

I'm Mike.

5 mins in so far..... when does it start?
    I think you should call it a day Paul, not everyone gets Miles Davis

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Ben.

Thumbs up

Evening all,

Firstly I must apologise for taking so long to write this short review of Pauls bakeoff from a few weeks ago. I meant to do it straight away but then realised I had a few technical IT related issues and along with work being a bit manic at the moment things have been delayed somewhat ......hopefully this rectifies the situation

Anyway the event was a real pleasure to attend and Paul and his wife were the perfect hosts. There was a good mix of people and the music & conversation and pies flowed non stop for the 5 hours or so that I was there.

Pauls system consisted of a pair of lovely looking big Tannoys run from some Radford valve power amps and a passive pre of some sort. Initially we mixed and matched between his CD player (which I didn't pay much attention to unfortunately) and his stock rega deck. Later on we plummed in my own slightly modded SL1200 and Mikes Akia DD deck. I've not heard any Tannoys (big or small) before and initially I thought they lacked a bit of top end sparkle however after about an hour or so they really started to come on song and by the time I left I was very taken with what they were doing. They just seemed to have an effortless and enjoyable presentation, something I could have sat in front of for way longer than I actually did (if I only had the room for a pair myself..........)

I cant remember everything we played however for me the Tannoys really came on song with a thumping Grace Jones album and the back to back Propellorheads 12 inch we played via my techie and the (eary / mid 80s?) high end Akai DD turntable brought along by Mike (Jac Hawk) all of which we played through a firebottle phonostage. I think the techie would have been pretty evenly matched with the Akai had it not been for the AT150 MLX cart im using. We also ran the same tracks through Pauls stock Rega whos performance was lacking (for me anyway) against the 2 DD decks but thats not really surprising given its bog standard nature.

Anyway hats off to everyone who attended really I had a great time and it was lovely to meet some new faces. Heres a pew pictures for the benefit of those not able to attend.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Pauls room before the run really got started

[IMG][/IMG]
    The view from the sofa

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Not sure if the isolating properties of the carpet were beneficial or not but that's what we went with

Mikes Akai in full flow (I loved the front LCD read out

A final view from the back
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Paul.

Cheers Ben. One correction, The valve amps aren't Radfords, they were built by my father in law.

A few photos don't show for me

Thanks for the comments. Had a great day ourselves.
    You're welcome any time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast