+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A modest 2.0 setup

I'm Brook.

I think it looks great, in fact something akin to the look I am aiming for once I have decorated.

I would describe it as classy & slick rather than clinical.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mirekti View Post

Vinnie Rossi LIO is an ultracapacitor powered modular system i.e. 100% off the power grid system. You can check more about it on http://www.vinnierossi.com/
    Mine comes with: silent switching (will be included by default in all future products), AVC/Tubestage, DAC and an output module, the latter one comes by default. There are other modules which might fit others needs like DHT-PRE, Headphone AMP, Phonostage...
    The amp is dead quite, smooth sounding yet very detailed (especially with Harbeths). Soon there will be new DAC released and if I want it in my system, I simply replace the old DAC module with a new one, this is very convenient.
    My final setup will be a PC with Roon+HQPlayer and LIO with NAA module (once it gets released).

Cheers!!!
    Thanks Milan!
    Sounds very interesting, i'll look it up!
    And as a very pleased Roon user myself i fully understand the desire to continue in that direction! (Even if i personally prefer bit perfect delivery)
    I didn't understand a couple of acronyms though, AVC? and DHT?
    Atb /Mike

I'm Milan.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Thanks Milan!
    Sounds very interesting, i'll look it up!
    And as a very pleased Roon user myself i fully understand the desire to continue in that direction! (Even if i personally prefer bit perfect delivery)
    I didn't understand a couple of acronyms though, AVC? and DHT?
    Atb /Mike
    Roon is very interesting, but I wouldn't care less if it wasn't configurable to use HQPlayer. HQPlayer is what makes system shine, but you need to have rather powerful PC to use its features like upsampling to DSD512 and use its filters.
    I think you can find more details on its webpage. AVC - Autoformer Volume Control, DHT - Direclty Heated Triode.
    Cheers!!!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
    Peter (PetRat), thanks a lot for selling P3ESRs, the sound is great and they really like their new home.
    I set this up yesterday. Need to work a bit on cable management, though.
    When listening to music I pull them out on the carpet and listen from 3ft away. Ideally, I would add two subs which would fit right behind them once they are pulled out, but in a process of moving to another city so...

Attachment 19072Attachment 19073Attachment 19074Attachment 19075
    Hi Milan ... glad you like the speakers. More importantly, I hope your partner likes them too
    BTW, they are supposed to have their grills on
    If you fancy continuing the Brit theme, ime they work brilliantly with the little Sugden A21a amplifier. You can 'special order' it in matching white, too
    Have fun ....

I'm Milan.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Hi Milan ... glad you like the speakers. More importantly, I hope your partner likes them too
    She does!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    BTW, they are supposed to have their grills on
    If you fancy continuing the Brit theme, ime they work brilliantly with the little Sugden A21a amplifier. You can 'special order' it in matching white, too
    Have fun ....
    Yeah, I keep the grills on, you can see in other post.
    I already have an amp, it is on the TV stand, I posted about it above. I like it really much!!!

Thanks for everything Peter, all the best!!!

I'm Steven.

Vinnie Rossi are a big advocate for Harbeth. Always seem to use them at shows. Nice to be able to stick an LIO on P3esr for a second system.

I listen mostly through P3esr in my second system and I could not want for a better speaker.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Milan.

Well, my modest system is still modest, but the sound became grand with adding two Rythmik F8 subwoofers and cannot be called 2.0 anymore.

F8-P3.jpg

I also might add these stands http://www.zaorstudiofurniture.com/idesign/d-stands/ on top of F8s, put P3s on the stands and make it kind of a single speaker (using blue tack to bind them).
    At the moment subs run to some 65-70Hz and there is minidsp 2x4 added to help me with the room modes. P3s run full range (no dsp).
    One last step would be to add a custom amp module to Vinnie Rosi's amplifier with HPF on line level set to 100Hz. This way, the P3 would be revealed of playing bass and probably sound cleaner.
    All in all, even with the current setup I am really, really happy with the sound, it's a joy to use this combination and it makes it hard to press stop and do something else.
    Last edited by mirekti; 15-02-2017 at 22:15.

I'm Martin.

A real neat system you have there with big WAF (wife approval factor)
    I am a fan of Vinnie Rossi I have one of his RWA Cassabria HPA.....battery powered so able to listen off grid and the ability to tube roll with either 12AX7 or ECC88 families so can tailor sound to taste.
    Enjoy!!
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Milan.

Well, I did some changes to the system finally so I thought it would be ok to share it here. It didn't end up aesthetically the way I imagined, but I am also not disappointed. Main thing is, I got the sound I wanted i.e. P3s which sound a tad bigger, and was also able to reveal them of trying hard to play bottom two octaves.*

What you see is a black box which is a PC running Win + Roon + HQPlayer with Tidal and local library. Everything is upsampled to DSD128 (max what current DAC supports, this will be upgraded in June to DAC which supports DSD512).
    It is a fan less Streacom F5 case which I modded a bit to accommodate Nocuta's 120mm ULN fan which blows the air in through a dust filter for some air flow.*
    Under the PC, there is a Vinnie Rossi LIO with AVC/Tubestage, DAC and a 4 ch amplfier. Two channels are full range and two have HPF @100Hz 24 dB/octave.
    P3s are connected to those HPF outputs and stand on Rythmik F8 subwoofers which are LPF @100Hz 24dB/octave. Subs are connected to line level out from LIO and through miniDSP so one can control bass response up to 100Hz and easy integrate them with the room.*

I place myself on a chair between the speakers, put a blanket on the TV and listen in a near filed. All in all, I must say I am very happy with this setup, and P3s are remarkable speakers. Now, with this setup even better imho.
    I hope you like it.
    ​​​​​​​Cheers!!!*

Harbeth (1 of 3).jpg
    Harbeth (2 of 3).jpg
    Harbeth (3 of 3).jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12