+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUT Suggestion - Jensen vs Audio Technica

I'm Pani.

Default SUT Suggestion - Jensen vs Audio Technica

Folks,
    This is one of the more esoteric forums where SUTs are discussed so often. I use an Audio Technica ART-9 cartridge and looking for a good SUT to match. My phono stage is an Audio Note M6 phono (it is a M6 preamp with in-built MM phono). I auditioned the Audio Note S3 SUT and it was amazing but also very expensive. I want to keep it within $1500. The two SUTs I have shortlisted based on some research is Jensen JT-347-AXT with 1:12 ratio:
    http://www.jensen-transformers.com/w...47-axt-112.pdf

Also since my cartridge is Audio Technica I am considering AT-2000T.

Jensen is about $500 for a pair and I will have to put it in a box and terminate it appropriately. AT2000T is fully built. The good thing about Jensen is it already comes in fully shielded cans. Some respectable manufacturers of tube phonostages like Zanden, Luxman, ARC, Berning and Lamm use Jensen SUT for MC amplification. What do you guys think about this choice, AT vs Jensen ?

I'm Dave.

There is a lovely Fidelity Research FRT3 in the 'Classified' section, at a giveaway price.

I'm Neil.

Jensen for me. Super natural and neutral transformers, superb measurements, where many others add flavour, like Audio Note love to.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Jez.

Continuing from recent discussion of the matter here on AOS, have you considered a head amp instead of SUT?
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Bastien.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Continuing from recent discussion of the matter here on AOS, have you considered a head amp instead of SUT?
    Why should an head amp be better than any SUT (it seems to be just your opinion)?

I'm Dimitris.

Edcor also seems popular and super cheap. I have no idea if they have the ratio you need though.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Walter.

The Audio Technica has not been made for years. I doubt that Audio Technica even made it. It is very specialized work. If I was a betting man I would place my last dollar that Phasemation actually built Audio Technica's' step up transformers. They make good stuff so that is not the issue. They (AT and Phasemation sut's) share a common attribute that being the ground connection does not go to earth. It works as a connection that allows one cable ground to connect with another cable ground that then goes to earth on the phono preamp or some other device that has a ground connection that goes to earth. One ground connection clip held together with another ground connection clip by the compression force of the ground connection screw can be a cause for hum.

Ask me how I know.

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by albertan View Post
    The Audio Technica has not been made for years. I doubt that Audio Technica even made it. It is very specialized work. If I was a betting man I would place my last dollar that Phasemation actually built Audio Technica's' step up transformers. They make good stuff so that is not the issue. They (AT and Phasemation sut's) share a common attribute that being the ground connection does not go to earth. It works as a connection that allows one cable ground to connect with another cable ground that then goes to earth on the phono preamp or some other device that has a ground connection that goes to earth. One ground connection clip held together with another ground connection clip by the compression force of the ground connection screw can be a cause for hum.

Ask me how I know.
    How do you know that both are actually not OEM-ed by a third party?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Walter.

Check out the Phasemation website. They have been making step up transformers for years. They incorporate them into their phono preamplifiers. It is my understanding that Phasemation is a sideline business for a Japanese computer billionaire.

I'm James.

I don't know your Cartridge spec's but these are vert nice Transformers........................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hashimoto-...-/370887489586

Jim.

P.S. No affiliation with the seller, just searched for Hashimoto SUT's.
    Last edited by JimC; 31-01-2017 at 20:22. Reason: Added a Post Script.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast