+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Fair point, not really heard of any hifi kit going on or causing a fire.
    You mean apart from a certain amp setting a member of this forums' speakers on fire..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ha - best not go there!

The other thing that the man doesn't seem to get, indeed neither him nor his arse-licking illiterate solicitor, is that what's being objected to/disagreed with is NOT the subject of the 'Gaz fuse fiasco', or the points put forward within that, such as anything about him not believing a fuse can sound better than other fuses, but rather the aggressive tone, complete lack of civility and patronising way in which Gaz was being treated by both of them during the whole episode!!

Why on earth neither of them seem capable of discussing the subject of hi-fi, calmly and civilly, without getting personal with people, is something you'd have to assess with how (seemingly) ignorantly these folk were brought up by their parents! Both badly need taught some manners, and I feel certain that day will come.

The deep-rooted hostility in evidence is certainly the reason why the forum in question is (and always will be) of the 'no-mark' variety, populated in the main by small-minded trolls and keyboard warriors, all too keen to insult and vilify others, from the safety of their keyboards, but who aren't quite so keen to reveal their real names and/or locations... HFS: a 'no-mark' forum for life's angry inadequates and cowardly trolls...

Anyway, enough has been said on this now, so let's move on and return to the thread topic.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    So to sum it up then, Gary & Jerry. (You will be making Ice-Cream next )

For £90 per fuse... would you say it's definitely worth the outlay? I've tried IC's in the past which cost more and yet never really yielded decent SPPV so this is why I'm picking your brains.

And Jerry, will you be ordering more for your other plugs?

I'd be interested to know if the mains fuse in the plugs are the best place to start, it's certainly the easiest.

IMO I must say the picture painted looks solid enough to give at least one a go. I use Mark Grant DSP 2.5 leads which are great, would these be ok to pop in a 13A fuse?
    Get some fine emery paper and clean your existing fuse and fuse holder, replace the original fuse back in. Hey presto, an improvement if there is one and it cost £1. So that is £89 less than the foo fuse.

I own a lot of foo stuff, but not foo fuses. As usual, just regularily clean the contacts and that is the same as an "upgrade". Far to sensible, but LPs are quite expensive now and £89 buy's about 4 - 5.
    Last edited by It Cost How Much!?!; 17-01-2017 at 12:08. Reason: spelling

I'm Adam.

Fair point, not really heard of any hifi kit going on or causing a fire.
    A little story for you.

A few years back, I was reviewing a turntable – I set it running in my upstairs listening room to warm up and went downstairs to write the review introduction. About 20 minutes later, the power went off and I found that the RCD for the house sockets that included my listening room had tripped.

I reset it and went upstairs, assuming the review turntable had failed but it was fine and running happily still. However, through the thick fog of smoke in the room I noticed that the power LED on the phono stage I was using at the time was out. I went to remove it from the rack, burning my hand on the lid in the process, which was red hot, and took it downstairs to cool off!

To cut a long story short, one of the rectifier diodes had gone short circuit, overloading the transformer. There was no fusing on the transformer’s outputs so it just sat there cooking itself until its moulded enclosure melted and the windings made contact with the earthed case, tripping the breaker. Had a fuse been fitted on the output side, however, it would have blown.

Even ignoring the potential fire hazard due to the lack of fusing, instead of a repair bill of about £4 for 4 diodes and one fuse, it actually cost me around £50 to fix - 4 diodes, two nearby melted capacitors and one transformer, plus two fuses and fuseholders that I added to the transformer outputs to prevent such future events. Funnily enough, this left the sound completely unaffected!

Worst of all, my flippin’ listening room stank for weeks as well...
    Last edited by Beobloke; 17-01-2017 at 13:13.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

Pal of mine had an Audiolab 8000a which he left on all the time despite me saying this was a bad idea. Eventually it did fail while he was out of work. No fire but it did melt all over his tuner, ruining that as well. I leant him a tidy little Marantz amp (with VU meters) as a stop gap.

Clearly that was at least as good as the Audiolab as he still has it more than 20 years later.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

The French distributor of these fuses actually recommends fitting the next size up as far as ratings go. This seems a bit daft to me.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by It Cost How Much!?! View Post
    Get some fine emery paper and clean your existing fuse and fuse holder, replace the original fuse back in. Hey presto, an improvement if there is one and it cost £1. So that is £89 less than the foo fuse.

I own a lot of foo stuff, but not foo fuses. As usual, just regularily clean the contacts and that is the same as an "upgrade". Far to sensible, but LPs are quite expensive now and £89 buy's about 4 - 5.
    Yup, agree with this.
    I did something similar in the first instance not knowing what to expect.
    I used Aurosol metal polish and industrial degreaser though..hardcore!

The improvement I got made me curious about if I could take it any further.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The French distributor of these fuses actually recommends fitting the next size up as far as ratings go. This seems a bit daft to me.
    I noticed a few people on the Audiogon thread had them blow whilst they were 'burning them in'. Which would imply they are not as robust as the fuse they replaced.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

I used Aurosol metal polish and industrial degreaser though..hardcore!
    I'm sorry to lower the tone, but I keep reading that as Anusol.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Pal of mine had an Audiolab 8000a which he left on all the time despite me saying this was a bad idea. Eventually it did fail while he was out of work. No fire but it did melt all over his tuner, ruining that as well. I leant him a tidy little Marantz amp (with VU meters) as a stop gap.

Clearly that was at least as good as the Audiolab as he still has it more than 20 years later.
    I've never had an amp blow up or catch fire (though an old Nytech I'd given away to a friend did go up in smoke when being used at 'party' volumes for several hours) but a laptop did emit foul-smelling smoke when its power supply developed a fault. Fortunately I was in the room when it happened, and chucked it into the garden before it did any real damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast