+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Chaps, mention was made earlier in the thread about replacing a fuse with a piece of copper bar. If this wasn't said in jest (and I sincerely hope it was), may I implore you all not to go down this route? Whether you think different fuses make a difference or not, the fact is they are there for a reason. To bypass them in this manner is foolish at best and downright dangerous at worst.
    I was stoopid enough to be cajoled into trying it (in the name of science) against my better judgement for a couple of tracks to compare...and was fortunate enough not to blow anything.

But yeah...extremely stupid.
    Sent from my ZX81 using Sinclair Basic

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Chaps, mention was made earlier in the thread about replacing a fuse with a piece of copper bar. If this wasn't said in jest (and I sincerely hope it was), may I implore you all not to go down this route? Whether you think different fuses make a difference or not, the fact is they are there for a reason. To bypass them in this manner is foolish at best and downright dangerous at worst.
    Yep +1

I gave a firm refusal to that request.

Interestingly, on another hifi forum the rule used to be (and possibly still is) a zero tolerance permanent ban for such postings.

It's only hifi - that extra 5% sound quality is not worth you and your family and possibly neighbours and fire fighters dying for.
    Jerry

Main systems:
    Spotify Premium streaming, DAC3 NOS TDA1543. Philips Black Tulip 270 pre / Black Cat mono power amps. Speakers: MBL 116F. Atratus3 i/c & Western Electric 16GA spkr cables. ProJect and Nordost Magus power cables

Headphones: AKG 551, JBL Synchros S700, B&O H6, PSB M4U-1,Beyerdynamic DT-150, B&O Form 2 & 2a and Sony XBA-H1 & SoundMagic E10 IEM headphones

2nd system: Pioneer DVD transport, Rotel RP-3000 tt / ADC XLM, Audiolab MDAC, Philips 370 power amp, Klegg Symphony 102 speakers

+1 (again)

At the time I encouraged that it was 'ok' to replace fuse with copper bar as I wasn't soldering anything in, what I was doing was easily reversable.
    My choice though at the end of the day.
    In hindsight though...

PUBLIC SERVICE / SAFETY BROADCAST
    Some sagely wisdom from someone I trusted with electrical advice on my own kit..
    What makes it worse, was asked to run my kit without a fuse with no concern for my kit blowing up, but as a "test" to find out re: the SR fuse if I was a liar, shilling for God knows who..or deluded.

Speaking about my specifc piece of kit:
    Even if there is no protection, no CU trip, no fuse, then the coil winding of the transformer becomes the fuse and it would open circuit very quickly, but would get very hot in the process but not enough to flame or damage anything just some smell and maybe a little smoke looking at the transformer spec. It would have to be replaced anyway so no difference.

Sure,
    no bother I'll do that, dont mind a little smoke here and there!
    And I'll buy my used car somewhere else thanks.

Last edited by Gazjam; 17-01-2017 at 10:16.

I'm Adrian.

In Spain there are NO fuses in plugs and all my gear is wired direct to separate spurs. Most appliances here aren't even earthed - though all of mine are.

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    I was stoopid enough to be cajoled into trying it (in the name of science) against my better judgement for a couple of tracks to compare...and was fortunate enough not to blow anything.

But yeah...extremely stupid.
    Not really stupid, just a calculated risk. Ok, more of an estimated risk, but I'd estimate the risk at 1000 - 1. If a piece of kit has been working fine for years, there's no reason for it to suddenly develop a fault in the five minutes after a fuse swap.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that it's safe to leave the fuse bypassed long term, but it's a low risk experiment for five minutes.
    Last edited by RothwellAudio; 17-01-2017 at 10:25.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm advocating that it's safe to leave the fuse bypassed long term, but it's a low risk experiment for five minutes.
    Indeed, and whilst the warnings are 100% justified (and welcome), one wonders, statistically, how many fires every year are caused by hi-fis, as opposed to, say, Christmas tree lights, washing machines, chip pans, cigarettes, etc...?

I suppose that everyone's risk assessment is calculated differently, and of course if in doubt, play it safe

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Modified Goldpoint SA4M-47 passive preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

Felt it was an acceptable risk at the time, but in hindsight not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, and whilst the warnings are 100% justified (and welcome), one wonders, statistically, how many fires every year are caused by hi-fis, as opposed to, say, Christmas tree lights, washing machines, chip pans, cigarettes, etc...?

I suppose that everyone's risk assessment is calculated differently, and of course if in doubt, play it safe

Marco.
    Fair point, not really heard of any hifi kit going on or causing a fire.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Not really stupid, just a calculated risk. Ok, more of an estimated risk, but I'd estimate the risk at 1000 - 1. If a piece of kit has been working fine for years, there's no reason for it to suddenly develop a fault in the five minutes after a fuse swap.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that it's safe to leave the fuse bypassed long term, but it's a low risk experiment for five minutes.
    Risk would have been a lot less than that tbh. Long term, would be asking for trouble. There has to be something give in the event of a short for instance or you will get flames eventually as things heat up . Its probably true that our electrical codes are somewhat over protective, but there are good reasons why they are. I prefer the safety fuse to a potential of some sightly better sounding stereo. If however its done as a short term observed test by someone who knows what he is doing and has taken precautions then the risks would be acceptable.
    I understand why folk do it though as like many things in life, forbidden fruits taste best
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.5- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. - PIONEER SA8100 AMPLIFIER. - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - CARTS.. AT95S, SHURE M55E, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    What makes it worse, was asked to run my kit without a fuse with no concern for my kit blowing up, but as a "test" to find out re: the SR fuse if I was a liar, shilling for God knows who..or deluded.
    Standard lack of concern from the man in question, who's own equipment contains no fuses or safety protection circuitry whatsoever, the design of which he ridiculously tries to justify. The whole "shilling" thing is a joke, and part of the sufferer's deluded mental condition. He has an inexplicable mania for "shilling"!

There is/was no shilling or "scam" on your part... You were simply tempted to try an 'audiophile fuse', entirely of your own accord, and when you did, and found it improved the performance of your hi-fi system, proceeded to tell others, which is normal and perfectly natural practice on an enthusiast-orientated audio forum, such as this, in case they might be interested in doing the same.

You were then subjected to a tirade of abuse, and treated disgracefully by the forum owner and his arse-lickers, simply because part of what you were reporting didn't fit with their world view or 'belief system', and most importantly, because they consider ridiculing people that they don't like or agree with as 'entertainment'. How sad. But then when you don't have much of a life, I guess you have to get your 'kicks' when you can....

The proof that there is/was no "shilling" will become patently obvious when discussion of this particular tweak runs its course and dies a natural death, which will happen sooner rather than later... As indeed is the case with 95% of such tweaks, with probably no more than half a dozen people in total having been tempted to buy one of the fuses in question [hardly the basis of successful shill or scam], leaving the accuser of such looking once again like a deluded and demented tit!

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Modified Goldpoint SA4M-47 passive preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast