+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 54 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's just that people say 'I know the difference was real because I swapped out new for old and everything was ruined', as if that 'proved' anything. It doesn't. (I should add that I don't do any of this swapping about malarkey myself being a lazy-arsed slacker).
    It proves it for them, even if they didn't need convincing to begin with. There is far too much bollocks talked about expectation bias and placebo in hi-fi. It is the lazy man's answer to everything. I'm not saying they do not apply at all but their influence is way overstated.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

It's just that people say 'I know the difference was real because I swapped out new for old and everything was ruined', as if that 'proved' anything. It doesn't. (I should add that I don't do any of this swapping about malarkey myself being a lazy-arsed slacker).
    Used to drink with a guy that liked a splash of lemonade in his lager.not much. If they got mixed i could try one then other then back to the first and get it right every time. Or am i just being gullible as the one i picked had more in it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It proves it for them, even if they didn't need convincing to begin with. There is far too much bollocks talked about expectation bias and placebo in hi-fi. It is the lazy man's answer to everything. I'm not saying they do not apply at all but their influence is way overstated.
    And if they just want it 'proved for them', no probs. But if someone with a great deal of technical knowledge/experience of building stuff says 'that can't work, it's just not possible' then a bit of evidence by way of blind-testing goes a lot further than 'I heard it - are you calling me a liar' as a response in terms of moving the discussion along.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Ali,

There's a fancy fuse in that MCRU Linear PSU you bought from me, or there should be, it was sold to me supposedly with one already fitted although I never checked.

Might be an idea for you to try it in something else, see if it does anything for your system.
    Ok cheers, will give it a try at the weekend if I get time.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

And if they just want it 'proved for them', no probs. But if someone with a great deal of technical knowledge/experience of building stuff says 'that can't work, it's just not possible' then a bit of evidence by way of blind-testing goes a lot further than 'I heard it - are you calling me a liar' as a response in terms of moving the discussion along.
    No it doesn't, because if they can identify a difference in the test then the test methodology is called into question. You read PFM, you know how it goes.

That's why this is a subjectivist forum. So we don't have to go there. On the other hand I think that if someone posts that a ninety quid fuse gives a good uplift in sound quality then it is fair that questions are asked, if only because some people with 'a great deal of technical knowledge/experience of building stuff' says it can't be happening. Asking questions is not the same as calling someone a liar or claiming placebo. I'd be happier if the engineers had a listen for themselves and satisfied themselves there was no subjective difference. If they hear there is a difference then who better to look for the reason?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes I guess that's fine, if you feel so inclined.

However, as long as no-one is saying what they've heard is FACT, but merely offering their subjective opinion (which is all I've seen here from the 'fuse believers', as it were), then there's no need for proof/evidence of anything, other than someone's word, which you can choose to believe or not - and least of all any expert coming along, psychoanalysing them and writing an essay on the gullibility of man!

It's that last bit that raises the heckles and is completely unnecessary and unwelcome.

I've said it before here many times, when commenting on what we've done with our hi-fi systems: we're not submitting a formal thesis for critical appraisal or entering a competition in a debating society; we're chatting informally amongst ourselves in a chilled-out and relaxed environment, much as if we were all together chewing the fat over a few beers in a pub. That's the vibe we have here on AoS.

So no-one gets any special Brownie Points for being right or wrong!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Asking questions is not the same as calling someone a liar or claiming placebo.
    Precisely, it's almost as if they take challenging their 'world view' or not accepting their scientific belief system as 'gospel', worse than someone insulting their mother! I simply *won't* have that here, as it's precisely why AoS was born in the first place: to create a safe haven away from that sort of divisive shit and ill-feeling.

If you enjoy that, and have a penchant for an endless circular argument, there's plenty of it on almost every other forum, so fill your boots.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Questions are good, and always welcome.
    other stuff...not so much.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Questions are good, and always welcome.
    other stuff...not so much.
    The problem is, Gary, some folk are so ignorant and divorced from social interaction with normal people, and more interested in winning arguments, scoring points and trying to be smart, that they completely lose sight of the fact that their behaviour spoils it for everyone else

And that's why the forums these folk run or are members of will never amount to anything worthwhile, much like them.

Also, what gets me is the arrogant and abrasive tone with which they address people, and obviously consider as normal. It just beggars belief, evidenced by the shocking treatment you were given on the midden, simply for relating to them what you'd discovered with a fuse... It doesn't matter how wrong you are about what you said (should that be the case), there is simply no need for such nastiness.

You wonder if they speak to their friends or partners that way, and if so, how they put up with it. I can tell you if anyone spoke to me like that in real life, with such patent rudeness and disrespect, regardless of anything else, they'd get a well deserved slap!!

I was brought up in an environment where people, by default, were treated with kindness and civility, no matter whether you disagreed with them on certain matters or not, and that's how I insist on living my life now. I have zero tolerance for those who, in that respect, appear to live on a different planet.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You can guarantee they would not dare to be so abrasive face to face..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 54 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast