+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm gone.

Whoosh.

My £90 SR Black fuse has arrived.
    Blimey, the improvement is not subtle.
    Putting the old fuse back and the improvements in image focus and presence, resolution, and the sheer improved organisation of the soundstage went away.
    SR Black back in - and improvements back as well.

This is one refund option that will most certainly not be taken up!

It's supposed to 'run in', well maybe, I'll see.

I've placed the fuse in the wall plug that feeds a mains block that feeds the whole system.
    Where next for my next one .... ?

Thanks Gaz, good spot.

I'm Alan.

This ^^^^^

Good post Paul.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    I believe that I have answered that, and have been anything but hostile Neil. Get irritated if you wish, but one opinion is just as valid as another and I haven't decried anyone's listening experiences at all it is just this type of arrogant response that gets me irritated, when there can be no tolerance at all of a rational and enquiring approach based on something more than a belief system. With that, I'll bow out of this one straight away. (ok, after addressing Marco's response) You may wish to re-read what my edited posting actually says rather than jumping in with such hostility so quickly. It's only hifi for goodness sake! There's more important things going on in the world at present to get angry over.
    Sorry Paul but I have a zero tolerance attitude towards anyone using placebo, which you did, though you didn't use that word. I wasn't rude or hostile I simply said it irritated me, which it does. Your post was fine until you wrote that bit, you are entitled to express your opinion and I am entitled to say I dislike intensely people writing about placebo, as it questions their listening ability etc.

I recognise designers and measurements but too many dismiss valid listening experiences and sweep them under the placebo catch all, basically that we are self deluded and what is heard is dismissed as being such. I really don't like that.
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    That's fair enough Marco. As I said in my first post, I am not decrying the experiences of others, just trying to approach with a more enquiring mind than some would allow.

I have to say Marco, and this is definitely not aimed at you or what you've posted, but it is noticed by a few of us and a little objectionable how recently, if anyone from the engineering community who has a stake in actually designing or making things posts, even in a polite way, they are instantly slapped down by some with unpleasantness as if we are to be kept in a box under control.

This isn't George Orwell's 1984, so if such people would like to take their aggression out somewhere else, that would be appreciated. Otherwise, I can assure you, there will be some trades people on here walking away or just not contributing any more. Andrew, Jez, and myself have come in for more than enough stick lately, but between us, we do have a smattering of knowledge. It seems that when we try and share any of it, or offer our own opinions based on experience, someone stamps on it rather quickly.

I do try being empathetic and polite with posts, but I'm wired up to approach things differently than many on AoS. Now we are all tying to arrive that the same place, but often our paths are blocked so a different route is called for. All I (and the others) try to do is to offer that other route, if that makes sense?
    That's fine, Paul, and I appreciate where you're coming from.

Andrew and I had a perfectly amicable exchange of views earlier, and in some areas we simply agreed to disagree, which is fine. He didn't try and press the point or make out that I was automatically 'imagining' what I was hearing, or told me in no uncertain terms that I was 'wrong', which with respect to Jez, is something he does (or rather did do) that others and I find deeply objectionable. And he accepts that now.

As long as no-one arrogantly or dogmatically tries to TELL me what I'm hearing or not (as that sends me to the ceiling and back), as they weren't there when I heard it, I'm happy to entertain any POV contrary to my own stance on this matter. At the end of the day, even if we disagree, it's about having the interpersonal skills and manners to respect someone else's right to think differently from you - and that applies to both the scientific and non-scientific fraternity.

Heaven help us if we ever get to the stage here, as on some forums, that folks are too scared to open their mouths, and relate their (valid) audio experiences, for fear of being rudely shouted down by some blinkered idiot, whose only desire is to defend his 'world view' and 'win' arguments, no matter how many folk (on his own site and elsewhere) he upsets and makes enemies of in the process, making a mockery of the supposed subjectivist ethos of his site in the process, and who's too stupid to see that by doing so he's scaring folks off and killing his own forum!

Not to worry, that suits is all here fine, as we'll only profit from his blinkered belligerence

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep good post Paul.

Interesting Jerry has the same findings as Gaz.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    This ^^^^^

Good post Paul.
    Oi daftee - have you carried out that fuse test yet I asked you to do? I'm genuinely interested in the results!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Whoosh.

My £90 SR Black fuse has arrived.
    Blimey, the improvement is not subtle.
    Putting the old fuse back and the improvements in image focus and presence, resolution, and the sheer improved organisation of the soundstage went away.
    SR Black back in - and improvements back as well.

This is one refund option that will most certainly not be taken up!

It's supposed to 'run in', well maybe, I'll see.

I've placed the fuse in the wall plug that feeds a mains block that feeds the whole system.
    Where next for my next one .... ?

Thanks Gaz, good spot.
    How many other fus s do you need?
    Are fancy mains cables involved?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    How many other fus s do you need?
    Are fancy mains cables involved?
    Fancy mains cables? yes. The cable / plug concerned is a Missing Link Cryo Reference.

How many other fuses? - well, I am now looking askance at cables feeding pre & power amps and DAC. Those being the main components in my system.

I'm Alan.

Default USED and NEW fuse testing.

OK daftee, keep your keks on. I have just been doing the test whilst you were posting the last couple.

My CD player, of quite a number of years use, has never had the fuse changed. It is a T1A.
    On opening the little slide fuse carrier I found that the manufacturer had included a spare in the second 'chamber'.

So I have two fuses of the same vintage, one having been used and the other not.

Resistance test results:

USED 0.138 ohms
    NEW 0.132 ohms

I then got all the new/unused T1A fuse out of my spares draw and tested them:

So in this instance I would say no degradation from use. The CD player is a Naim with quite a large toroidal mains transformer in it.

Okay dokes, I was just curious on what the numbers would be. Thanks for taking the time to do that

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast