+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Dunno about that. My mums house had to be rewired when she died by buyer as it didnt come up to regs. Bar the kitchen it was all round plugged. 5 amp and big 15 amp. They were a much better fit, and you rarely ever saw any pitting on the pins that you often get on 13 amp ones.
    Most 13A plugs these days are cheap Chinese imports. The quality of BS1363 plugs and sockets is no longer what it was. Even MK now have some of their stuff made in China; the sockets are definitely value engineered, and the build standard is clearly inferior to what it was in the '60s and '70s.
    Barry

I'm John.

Right, bit of an update. Put my system on this morning and that beautiful "hear through" quality seemed to be missing. I'm concvinced there's a lot of hash (RFI?) on our mains during the day which cleans up at night. I did repeat the fuse/wire swap and there is still a noticeable improvement with the fuse bypassed. The sound is "cleaner" for sure.

Barry, I have to agree with your argument regarding lowering mains impedance, it doesn't add up. Actually it was a 13 amp fuse so your argument is even stronger. The point you just made about plug quality is very valid. The plug I was playing with is a real piece of crap with really poor quality fuse grips. Never bothered me as I wasn't a believer in mains tweaking. I reckoned 240V would get through relatively anything unscathed. However opening an MK tough plug on one of my other leads showed what a good quality item should feel like - the fuse was SOLID.

After checking there was a fuse fitted to the IEC inlet of both my amp and CD player I have bypassed the fuses in their plugs too so have gone the full monty and bypassed all the plug fuses and the sound is definitely more clean, clear and defined. The extra definition in the bass is very noticeable and appreciated with the James Jamerson stuff I'm listening to at present. His old flat wound Fender has a new found texture.

Will leave things like this for a week or two and then go back to having the fuses in circuit and see what's what.

I think plug fuses are not made of glass because they have to interrupt higher fault currents than those inside equipment hence the ceramic body to withstand the force without shattering.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Most 13A plugs these days are cheap Chinese imports. The quality of BS1363 plugs and sockets is no longer what it was. Even MK now have some of their stuff made in China; the sockets are definitely value engineered, and the build standard is clearly inferior to what it was in the '60s and '70s.
    Indeed, they're shit... The only 13A plugs I'd put near my system these days (and there are only two, plugged into my TD digital noise filter) are these, which feature solid-copper pins, plated with Rhodium. Pitting is a non-issue:

Very high-engineering quality, and the best plug I've found that doesn't 'sound' like a plug (i.e. the closest to hard-wiring, simply because it acts LEAST like a bottleneck)... Only thing is they're £105 a pop!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Yes, plug fuses (to BS1362) must have ceramic bodies for reasons you state. Even some 20mm long fuses use a sand-filled glass body.

Incidently 20mm x 5mm dia fuses ought to satisfy the relevant BS specification: BS EN 60127/2 for quick-acting types, and BS EN 60127/3 for time delay types.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I get mine from 'Poundland' .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Ha - you're such a tightwad!

You know what I'm like, though...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Yikes, bit steep at a hundred odd quid but worth it I suppose.

My system has never created images like this before. Every instrument is clearly standing in its own space, chuffed

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Even some 20mm long fuses use a sand-filled glass body.
    Yes, they're the HBC variants -high breaking capacity.

Bit like myself on the wind front

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, they're shit... The only 13A plugs I'd put near my system these days (and there are only two, into my TD digital noise filter) are these, which feature solid-copper pins, plated with Rhodium. Pitting is a non-issue:

Very high-engineering quality, and the best plug I've found that doesn't 'sound' like a plug (i.e. the closest to hard-wiring, simply because it acts LEAST like a bottleneck)... Only thing is they're £105 a pop!

Marco.
    What make of fuse do you use in them?
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Yes, they're the HBC variants -high breaking capacity.

Bit like myself on the wind front
    Hi John,

Yup, they're very good. You have to remember how much my system cost to put together, so £105 isn't really a hill of beans...

I totally 'get' where you're coming from with your current experiment, and the benefits you've heard. It's precisely why I do the same myself - and have done for years!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast