+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    John , sorry to hear about your loss . These are very wise words indeed .
    +1. The problem with a lot of these debates is pigheaded stubbornness (worrying about 'losing face'), and folk being selfish, concerning themselves more about 'winning' an argument, than on the effect their behaviour is having/has had on others. A well-known serial 'banee' from forums, elsewhere is guilty of this, and is the reason why he's been banned from everywhere else other than his own place, but he never sees it!

Time to STOP AND THINK sometimes, folks, rather than carrying on belligerently trying to prove a point. Often the latter is completely forgotten, or not even recognised amongst the grief caused in order to get there, but the distress inflicted on others in the process hasn't.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Gary's not in the habit of hearing improvements which are not there and I know his system pretty well .

I'm hoping to get over to his place some time next week so I'll reserve any comments until I've heard for myself
    That is where I am at too. I think I will have to order one just to satisfy my curiosity. For the money asked I will be expecting to hear an obvious improvement from the off or it will be going straight back.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rich.

Well I can say that for me a fancy fuse wouldn't be on my shopping list but then it would be out of proportion to what is currently a pretty modest system (but one that gives me enjoyment).

Maybe though in the context of Gaz's gear it might be a worthwhile investment, if he understands expectation bias (which I'm sure he does having been around this sport for a while) and hears an improvement then fair enough.

As for others whinging about the dealer markup etc, it's not as if anyone's forcing their arms to buy one is it? Some folk never happy unless complaining.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    As for others whinging about the dealer markup etc, it's not as if anyone's forcing their arms to buy one is it? Some folk never happy unless complaining.
    Ha - how true is that... Oh how I hate the depressing, miserable grumps of this world!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

I lost the will to live about the end of page 2 of this thread and didn't read further.

But gaz is a sensible guy with good ears, and the Noo Year replenished my hifi budget -- so I've ordered one of those fuses.
    I'll post my experience with it for anyone who is interested.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Basically, I don't understand why, say, a 5A 'audiophile fuse' can't be the same rating as a 5A standard fuse? Is it to do with their respective internal constructions or what?

Marco.
    Hi Marco, fuses react specifically to a given current flowing through them. They will allow their nominal rating to pass indefinitely but if the current increases beyond a certain level then the conductor inside the fuse will melt (blow). A very high current will cause the fuse to blow quickly, a current say just 100% above the fuse rating will take some time to blow the fuse. This relationship of current versus time is defined in a series of British Standards that fuse manufacturers *should* adhere to so that equipment designers can calculate how much energy a fuse will let through before blowing. They can then design the equipment to withstand this amount of energy so that minimum damage is caused before the fuse blows. For fuses in our standard 13A plugs this is BS1362.

*I think* what Anthony is saying is that if the fuse is made from a different conductor material it is unlikely to adhere to the same time/current curve as a BS1362 compliant fuse and so the protection level offered may be different.

Here's the curves for 3A and 13A BS1362 fuses. It's logarithmic scale. These are max and min values, likely dependent on ambient temperature, hotter = faster.

Cheers for that, John! I now know where Anthony is coming from. Therefore, if that's right, and subsequently the resistance of these 'audiophile' fuses is lower, and the sonic effect of that is clearly audible (which it is to me, Gaz and countless others who've tried them), then I can't see why said lower resistance (if it can be measured) can't act as proof for what we're hearing

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Is it that there may be a safety issue? The fuse will not perform as a standard one in the event of a fault?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

John , sorry to hear about your loss . These are very wise words indeed .
    + 2

Hard times
    Regards Neil

Yes, the safety issue is a possible problem. For that reason, I wouldn't use them in any high-current consuming components, such as a valve amp or large power amp. The ones I use are in the off-board PSU for my preamp, T/T, and CDP and DAC.

Oh, and just to get a little bit more 'mentalist', the fuses are directional, so listen to them both ways round before forming an opinion. That goes for the SRs, too... Gaz, was anything mentioned in the blurb about them being directional?

The Hi-Fi Tuning ones are clearly marked for directionality, and sound subtly different when fitted one way round or the other.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast