+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firebottle KIN & Monoblocks review.

Bigman80 Guest

Default Firebottle KIN & Monoblocks review.

Hi all,

I had the pleasure of Alan's company at my abode today. The plan was to do some swapping of amplification.

We listened to a few of my favourite LPs and here are my thoughts

Source - Toshiba SR 370, ZYX bloom

Cables - Klotz MC5000, MS Audio Rhodium Plugs.

Speakers and cables - Mission 710, Fisual Hollywood

First combo was :

Sony 730SE as preamp and the Firebottle Monoblocks

What I got from this combo was a very typical Sony feel to the music. The FBM (Firebottle Monoblocks) sou see very sweet. Mid range was very rich and strings sounded particularly good. Female vocals were very good and full of air and breathable space.

Treble was very very natural. No harshness could be heard through the Mission 710s. Which I might add, sounded superb throughout the listening tests.

Bass, very deep crisp bass. Double bass had that twang which I love and generally very good to listen too.

So we swapped the Sony for the KIN

Now, this is where it gets very interesting :

Synergy. Pure synergy. Two components which have been designed to work together and produce magic. Yes, magic.

An uncanny duet of "WOW" from Alan and I followed the first few words of "Everything to hide" by Sarah Jarosz.

It's just so beautiful. It's the best word to describe it. Honestly, I have never been so dumbstruck with a piece of audio equipment.

Alan is smiling, very smugly I might add, and so am i. The vocals are perfect. The bass is better than it was and the string section is grazing along the strings and I can hear it and feel it. The bottom end is present, correct and feels like it's climbing through my floor to ceiling space. " She's leaving home" - the Beatles, is now playing and I'm trying to tell Alan how the cellos are playing different parts because I can hear them clearly. He can't lol, but that's the thing, I can !! I've played SGT PEPPER over a million times. I'm positive and it has never sounded better.

There is no treble. Nothing noticeable anyway and that's a great thing. No hissing, harshness, ear splitting cymbals, just clear well balanced highs that sound very realistic. Stevie Ray Vaughans - Tin pan alley is now on and the drums are pinpoint and thundering. I can hear the springs rattling under the snare and I'm sure I can hear the skin flexing too. Live performers will know what I'm mean there.

The tone and sustain of his Stratocaster are evident and the decay of guitar notes is perfect.

Summary -

The sony, for whatever reason couldn't or wouldn't bring the best out of the FBM's but the kin most certainly did.

It was an exhilarating Hour with them. I can honestly say they are astoundingly good and having them in my home with my TT and Speakers has only convinced me I need some.

Price is around £2750 for everything Kin and FBM

Worth every penny. PS I'm now selling a kidney for £2750 if anyone is in need 😉

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

brilliant . thanks for the review . yes I heard the kin and was impressed . would love to hear this set up sometime

you are so right about synergy . I have tried my little valve pre with my class a amp and its sounds good but a little thin. when I tried it with the ancient valve arc d70 it was a match made in heaven

trouble is finding those products that work together . in my case msb don`t make a pre [only a dac with vol control] and not yet invested in a modwright poweramp

how many watts are the monoblocks and whats the sensitivity of your speakers ?
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Kevin.

It's a combination I have thoroughly been enjoying. It just sounds "right" to my ears.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    brilliant . thanks for the review . yes I heard the kin and was impressed . would love to hear this set up sometime

you are so right about synergy . I have tried my little valve pre with my class a amp and its sounds good but a little thin. when I tried it with the ancient valve arc d70 it was a match made in heaven

trouble is finding those products that work together . in my case msb don`t make a pre [only a dac with vol control] and not yet invested in a modwright poweramp

how many watts are the monoblocks and whats the sensitivity of your speakers ?
    I'm not sure of the FBM specs but the Missions are 86db I think. Such a wonderful sound from these though.

I'm Alan.

The monoblocks I took around to Oliver's are 90W.

The ongoing build that has an internal valve where two monoblocks are stack-able on top of the KIN is 55W per channel, this is the same that CageyH has.

I was pretty gobsmacked at how good the Mission 710 speakers sounded. They seem to be looked down on because they are Missions, yet they conveyed such a direct and enjoyable connection to the music.

In connection with another thread I'm getting more convinced that you need (to spend on) good amplification to give the best chance of bringing out the best from the source and the speakers at the other end.

A very enjoyable visit

I'm Phil.

thanks for that info . sounds good
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    ... thanks for the review . yes I heard the kin and was impressed .
    The KIN phono stage has improved by a margin since you heard it Phil,

I'm Kevin.

Having compared the pre-mod to post-mod phono stages, I agree it has improved and I am happy that Alan retrofitted my KIN with the latest tweak.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

It's a phenomenal achievment. Amazing quality.

I'm James.

Nice one chaps, sounds like you had a good time. Mr Firebottles gear is rather good and certainly brings a certain tube magic to any system!

Alan if you like the Mission 710's I think you would like the 770's.

Oliver you need to get saving or sell the car! The Set up Alan has there will see you good for many years and would be hard to beat at that bargain price!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast