+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice DC power supply unit?

I'm Lawrence.

Default Nice DC power supply unit?

I was looking for a PSU for my vdac (eg..ifi)and came across this.

http://www.powerinspired.com/12vdc-p...lfgaAhgC8P8HAQ

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Thanks for this, will be getting one for my router, great idea.

I'm Lawrence.

I'm hoping the battery will smooth out any variations in the power supply and be a big improvement on a standard wall wart.

I'm Jez.

It's a UPS....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It's a UPS....
    Can that have beneficial impact on the supply"quality" though?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Can that have beneficial impact on the supply"quality" though?

If I understand it the UPS will supply 12 volts transformed from 240 volts directly, the battery is only operational when 240 volt fails, so is not in circuit during normal operation.

Could be wrong though

I'm Lawrence.

I wasn't sure still might be better regulated than the wall.wart and its worth a punt at that price.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    If I understand it the UPS will supply 12 volts transformed from 240 volts directly, the battery is only operational when 240 volt fails, so is not in circuit during normal operation.

Could be wrong though
    That's the usual case yes.

Beyond that I'll stay out of this as it's an area where nearly everything believed by the average non engineer is completely wrong....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Nathan.

I don't know a simple way to explain it either. It has circuitry in it that would make it a bad choice as power supply for audio equipment. It would probably introduce line noise into all of your other gear too.

Even if you unplugged it and just used it like a rechargable battery (not what it's really designed for) you might get an album's worth of dirty power for your DAC if you're lucky.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    I don't know a simple way to explain it either. It has circuitry in it that would make it a bad choice as power supply for audio equipment. It would probably introduce line noise into all of your other gear too.

Even if you unplugged it and just used it like a rechargable battery (not what it's really designed for) you might get an album's worth of dirty power for your DAC if you're lucky.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
    A look at the video of the merits and design shows it is when DC powered unplugged or turned off increasing its internal battery of 3.7v
    to 12v, hence it has circuitry lets say increasing by x4 then regulating down to 12v when disconnected from the mains.

Unless tried as a power supply for audio, it would be hard to say it is strictly a bad choice vs some other more widely known design.
    Suggest an AOS member gives one a go, rather than write it off so quickly. To me it looks like a clever niche market product
    particularly for rural areas where power delivery may be a bit fluffy, and equipment like routers are needed to stay on.

But who knows, it might be reasonable for audio purpose when unplugged.

Cheers / Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast