+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Scientific method has arrived at some verifiable truths after many years of work, but they are a work in progress and we are far from understanding very much.

So we use the science as a starting point, and then experiment further, but the results are difficult to verify because the arbiter is our own hearing experience, which has to be subjective.
    Spot on, which makes it somewhat ridiculous why some folk obsess so much over specs and measurements!

If we meet others, we have the problems of ego defensiveness which are all pervasive because of our imprinted culture of competition and 'one-upmanship'.

Wouldn't it be great to be wealthy enough to hire a hotel for the weekend and all meet, with a room for each system, and just relax, put aside all that cultural alienation, try to get over ourselves and lower our defences, and try in all humility to express opinions, and determine a consensus of truth?
    You don't need to be wealthy, or hire any hotel, as what you've described above is what we aim to achieve on AoS

At the *very heart* of our ethos is the desire to allow decent people, who are genuine enthusiasts, to relax, just be themselves and say what they think, on all manner of topics, in a relaxed and friendly environment.

Oneupmanship here is grossly frowned upon, as are mouthy 'know-it-all' egotists, whose only desire is to indulge in vulgar displays of self-aggrandisement.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

Marco, regarding your latter highlighted paragraph of mine, it is not the conscious overt aspect of 'being superior' that I was referring to, but the subconscious internalised and habitual way with which we see the world every day; it is difficult to step aside form our personas and drop them, and be purely in the moment - egoless.

All sorts of religions, holidays, and therapies attempt to do this; we are so subject to conditioning, and from such an early age.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sure, Dennis, I get that - and we all have an ego, that's for sure, although some are rather more fragile than others

I do agree with where you're coming from, but the sentiments you've outlined we certainly try to fulfil here on AoS during our interactions with others.

As for conditioning, yes that's also true, but in my experience some are able to step outside of their 'insular bubbles', and see the world in a different way, rather better than others.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354