+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm James.

I would much rather talk about a product and how it sounds rather than how it works.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, and so it should be for most enthusiasts and music lovers. Leave the rest to those who build the equipment we use, or who are predisposed to concerning themselves about such matters.

I buy a TV to watch and enjoy TV programmes and movies, a fridge to chill my beers and a cooker to cook my food, not to worry about what makes it all work - and so it is with hi-fi.

Ultimately, for most people, it's all about the end result!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Fridges don't interest me, hi fi does. I think by not caring how it works we can potentially become just mug punters willing to buy the next gizmo without question. I'm sure manufacturers and salesmen are happy if that is the case but I'm not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

It's not a matter of not caring - of course we care, but it's about caring to a justifiable extent, so that 'caring' about how something works doesn't impinge on enjoying its primary function

I got into hi-fi because I'm a music lover and enjoy good sound, not a technical freak.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Just to clarify, I am not about to prove either way what you folk here seem to be experiencing, what I am interested in is getting to the bottom of what may be happening, which is why I am asking for some clear picks of one of these fuses, I thought there may be at least one person here' who has experienced the changes after fitting one' would be interested in confirming my own thoughts on the matter.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Yeah, come on guys (Gaz in particular), snap a clear pic of the fuses concerned (of what Anthony has requested) and let's see it!

Marco,
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Neither am I a techno freak. I'm too thick to understand it in the depth where I could design a DAC or an amplifier. Having at least layman's understanding of what is happening is useful though.

Example - A mate brings round a bit of kit for you to try in your system. It is much better than the item it replaces. Problem is you could never afford one, not even used. But by reading up on its technical spec you could, providing you have some understanding, work out why it is that you like it so much and look to buy something with the same qualities (again identified by the technical spec) but which is far more inexpensive. Thus getting what you want and increasing your enjoyment of the music.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Neither am I a techno freak. I'm too thick to understand it in the depth where I could design a DAC or an amplifier. Having at least layman's understanding of what is happening is useful though.

Example - A mate brings round a bit of kit for you to try in your system. It is much better than the item it replaces. Problem is you could never afford one, not even used. But by reading up on its technical spec you could, providing you have some understanding, work out why it is that you like it so much and look to buy something with the same qualities (again identified by the technical spec) but which is far more inexpensive. Thus getting what you want and increasing your enjoyment of the music.
    Lol - if only it were that simple!

There could be all sorts of factors responsible for why that piece of kit sounded how it did, regardless of its technical spec - synergy with the partnering system, for starters, and any number of variables that the technical spec of the equipment would provide little or no explanation for.

That's why, at the end of the day, it's what YOU hear that matters most, and thus what should ultimately be used as your judgement criteria for assessing kit, not what's written on a piece of paper.

Apart from cartridge selection, I built my whole system paying not a jot of attention to the technical spec of anything, and look at the results I've achieved!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Synergy with the partnering equipment is due to the technical spec, as is everything else about it you might like. What else could it be due to?

And I never said it was easy.

Don't get me wrong I am not advocating some uber-objective approach where if it measures correctly then it is correct even if it sounds rubbish. It is about using specs as a tool to enable you to get more for your money.
    Current Lash Up:

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Just to clarify, I am not about to prove either way what you folk here seem to be experiencing, what I am interested in is getting to the bottom of what may be happening, which is why I am asking for some clear picks of one of these fuses, I thought there may be at least one person here' who has experienced the changes after fitting one' would be interested in confirming my own thoughts on the matter.
    A...
    Overspec wire ergo Overspec for the given rating Anthony?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast