+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    ...My circuit design strives to achieve the best clarity possible and to reduce as much as possible the effects of different components.
    I can relate to this. Yes, making the circuit better is a sensible goal. Giving a circuit a "voice" is more like voodoo.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think what Marco is suggesting is that amplifier designers can choose a variety of components, valves, mosfets, fets, capacitors etc which will all influence the final sound 'voice' of the amplifier. Apart from the electrical specification a component has consideration of its sonic signature is surely a prerequisite in designing an audio component?
    Very much so. Well done ! Listening is at the top of the ladder in building a good circuit, as is good knowledge of components
    and knowing how each one sounds related to each part of the design. Accompanying this is a good knowledge of how live music sounds
    and knowledge of music in its many forms.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    No, I don't think so - audio components don't have a sonic signature. For example, what is the sound of a transistor? As far as my approach goes, it doesn't have a sound because it cannot even function in isolation. Unless it's in a circuit it won't even work at all, let alone display any sonic signature.
    Things like carbon comp resistors could be said to have a sonic signature but in reality it's just poor performance rather than a useful characteristic.
    You have a lot to learn, for instance common base vs common emitter and common collector - all sound different when correctly placed
    per their electrical requirements in a circuit. Yet they are all transistors in this case used in different ways

Similarly the fet and mosfet equivalents all sound different. As do operational amplifiers as do valves, as does basically everything.
    The ability to then hear for instance how a common emitter sounds with a well chosen miller capacitor vs a mosfet with miller capacitance already provided
    in its construction is an example. Also hearing what value of Miller cap sounds best vs what a scope shows - hopefully you are starting to see that components
    are critical, as is listening and measuring.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 23-03-2017 at 10:46.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I think what Marco is suggesting is that amplifier designers can choose a variety of components, valves, mosfets, fets, capacitors etc which will all influence the final sound 'voice' of the amplifier. Apart from the electrical specification a component has consideration of its sonic signature is surely a prerequisite in designing an audio component?
    Indeed....

Surely every competent audio designer, after a product has passed their 'bench test', and measured within accepted parameters, will still listen to said component, in the context of a known test system, and ascertain whether the sonic result obtained is acceptable?

If it measures superbly, yet sounds disappointing or not quite right, what should a good designer do, simply say: 'Feck it, I'll sell this regardless, as my ears must be deceiving me'? I don't think so!

A competent designer, with pride in his product and who seeks for it to achieve the best possible performance, will fine-tune, i.e. 'voice' the final circuit, perhaps by changing a capacitor and/or resistor, here or there, then measure and listen again, until he is satisfied that the final product not only measures well, but *sounds* good (read as satisfies what his ears tell him best replicates that of real instruments and voices).

*That* is how the best equipment is built, and it's no accident, therefore, that the finest sounding equipment out there is often produced by the designers who get that last bit right the most!

Quite simply, it's that final 'fine-tuning' which can be the difference between creating merely a mediocre product, or a great one - and chances are, said adjustment will have little or no impact on the product's technical performance/spec, simply because it's likely that whilst a simple cap or resistor change can effect a noticeable difference in sound quality, the product will still measure the same, which is why (as I was saying yesterday to Macca), using technical specs to determine how something will sound is not the best way of achieving any form of certainty in that respect.

If the term 'voicing' offends you, then simply replace it with 'fine-tuning'. 'Voicing' is used to indicate where human input has taken place, during the design of any equipment, which results in elevating its performance beyond what was attainable via measurement alone.

The fact is, we cannot currently measure everything that we can genuinely hear, so it is vital that ears are used as the final arbiter in the design of any good equipment.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    You have a lot to learn, for instance common base vs common emitter and common collector - all sound different when correctly placed
    per their electrical requirements in a circuit. Yet they are all transistors in this case used in different ways

Similarly the fet and mosfet equivalents all sound different. As do operational amplifiers as do valves, as does basically everything.
    The ability to then hear for instance how a common emitter sounds with a well chosen miller capacitor vs a mosfet with miller capacitance already provided
    in its construction is an example. Also hearing what value of Miller cap sounds best vs what a scope shows - hopefully you are starting to see that components
    are critical, as is listening and measuring.
    Thanks for being so patronising - made my day.

I'm Martin.

At one of the NEBOs Les from Avondale gave a little talk where he explained how he 'voiced' (although I don't believe he used that exact term) his power amplifiers by using certain types of components i.e resistors etc of different construction and materials, and he likened this to a chef adding herbs and spices to a curry.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

But Alan you have said to me many times that your amps sound the way they do due to your linear circuit design and you would not use any old bits and bobs to throw your amps together, surely? You design your amps carefully selecting components and circuit design in order to make them sound the way they do?
    Yes, the major influence is the actual circuit design, then using components of type and specification that are known not to influence the sound when they are used within the best circuit conditions.

In other words if the circuit conditions suit the particular component well then you don't need 'foo' capacitors for instance.

I'll explain in more detail when we get together next.

I'm Simon.

Graphene fuse element, is it fuckers like.

Maybe wire coated in Graphene powder...
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

RothwellAudio Guest

Here's some "info" from the website of one the fancy fuse manufacturers (about one of their other products):
    "So we began researching variables that could contribute to the mystery of midnight vs. mid-day system performance and came to the conclusion that man-made and solar RF must play a significant role. This led us to research of factors that contribute to fluctions in the Earth’s ambient RF environment. Ted reasoned that if differences in RF can degrade the sound, then RF can be modeled and shaped to improve the sound.
    There are three major disturbances on the Sun that affect radio propagation here on Earth. Solar Flares, Coronal Holes, and Sudden Disappearing Filament (SDF). Each disturbance causes both electromagnetic radiation and ejection of material from the Sun that alters RF on Earth. What we looked at was how each of these disturbances affects our RF environment during the day vs late at night with the intention to mimic late night conditions to improve sound mid-day..."

And it goes on. Make of it what you will.

I'm James.

Sounds very reasonable.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast