+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm Dennis.

I trawled through the first 30 pages of this thread this afternoon with some dismay because I thought I had put this to bed some time ago as mythical in the case of fuses.

Alas no, some hear differences, and it is unscientific to be dismissive of them, they involve perceptions as much as other scientifically based things.

There is no doubt that fuses do, as with other crude connections, oxidize, and they escape our attention for long periods.

In the 70s I used Belling-Lee coax plugs and sockets for connection using a 'Y' cable between my Quad 33 pre and Nelson Jones 10+10 class 'A' power amp. This illustrated to all visiting that polishing the plugs and sockets improved the sound considerably into Tannoy Gold Lancasters, and engineers laughed at this as 'silly engineering'.

For both my Hi-Fi and my studio I have home made distribution boards, seven on the Hi-Fi one and eleven on the studio one.
    In the former I have used the 5A Duraplug type because it is much easier to get a good contact between a round pin hole, than a square pin and a square hole, in which a fraction of a degree of error from square results in an infinitely small contact area.

I have also doubled the flex, soldered it, and cut half round stainless steel tubes which go under the screws to prevent them cutting the 'blobbed' flex strands, and also increased the size of the screws from 6BA to 4BA.

De-oxit and pro-gold every five years.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I am dragging this back up as I have a question.
    Out of a choice of upgraded mains leads and internal equipment fuses (bearing in mind I don't have plug fuses) which would give the greater benefit?
    Logic would dictate using them where the current drawn was largest ... along the mains supply to the power amp.
    Although, what 'logic' has to do with this thread, I'm not sure
    But, hey, 400 posts ... impressive!

I'm Gary.

Good post.

In my own experience, given that all power eventually becomes what you hear and actually goes through the fuse, I see it as an integral part of the power supply.
    Its a potential 'choke point' and I think this may be where any improvements may come from.

Agree with you on Deoxit and Pro Gold, its great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I trawled through the first 30 pages of this thread this afternoon with some dismay because I thought I had put this to bed some time ago as mythical in the case of fuses.

Alas no, some hear differences, and it is unscientific to be dismissive of them, they involve perceptions as much as other scientifically based things.

There is no doubt that fuses do, as with other crude connections, oxidize, and they escape our attention for long periods.

In the 70s I used Belling-Lee coax plugs and sockets for connection using a 'Y' cable between my Quad 33 pre and Nelson Jones 10+10 class 'A' power amp. This illustrated to all visiting that polishing the plugs and sockets improved the sound considerably into Tannoy Gold Lancasters, and engineers laughed at this as 'silly engineering'.

For both my Hi-Fi and my studio I have home made distribution boards, seven on the Hi-Fi one and eleven on the studio one.
    In the former I have used the 5A Duraplug type because it is much easier to get a good contact between a round pin hole, than a square pin and a square hole, in which a fraction of a degree of error from square results in an infinitely small contact area.

I have also doubled the flex, soldered it, and cut half round stainless steel tubes which go under the screws to prevent them cutting the 'blobbed' flex strands, and also increased the size of the screws from 6BA to 4BA.

De-oxit and pro-gold every five years.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 18-03-2017 at 12:16.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Simon.

So normal electricity comes out of the wall, goes through the fuse, and gets all high quality 'quantumized' and this has such an effect on the electrons that it lasts through the rest of the system all the way to the drive units...

Seems like we need only install one biggun at the power station then we can all enjoy it.

As well as sounding like total bullshit.

Ill be writing to the importer and asking for proof of Eu/BS compliance and passing it on accordingly.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    So normal electricity comes out of the wall, goes through the fuse, and gets all high quality 'quantumized' and this has such an effect on the electrons that it lasts through the rest of the system all the way to the drive units...

Seems like we need only install one biggun at the power station then we can all enjoy it.

As well as sounding like total bullshit.

Ill be writing to the importer and asking for proof of Eu/BS compliance and passing it on accordingly.
    Yup.

American kit can sound pretty good, and doesn't meet Eu/BS compliance?
    French, Dutch, Japanese, Swahili (and now I come to think on it Punjabian Urdu) kit can all sound pretty decent too?

As with my original post on SR Black fuses Si, it's what I heard in my system with my ears.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 19-03-2017 at 09:30.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Simon.

I don't doubt what you think you heard. I do doubt their safety as fuses.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Dennis.

My instinct sq225917, is to be as dismissive as you are about the fuse itself, but we need level matching within 0.1dB, and random D.B. testing to validate differences.

As for safety, a fuse cannot be that difficult to design, and as a long as the wire has the right melting current and time to do so, surely it will protect the equipment. The surrounding sleeve must be easy to make comply surely?

Apart from cleaning contacts, I cannot see any 'magic' being conferred onto the sound, but our perceptions cannot be dismissed without investigation.

I'm James.

Some folk think that electricity flows one way into a system and therefore the fuse influence is small,but Hifi components sit between live and neutral and AC power oscillates between 50-60hz. Therefore as well as cables being influential so are fuses in this context as they sit between a complex network of cables,wires and connectors. These all have an effect on the components power supply.

Another misconception is that the component sits at the end of an electrical supply but the component sees itself at the beginning and end!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Fuses are just there as protection.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

I'm drowning in the non sequiturs of post 418.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast