+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    There exists the possibility of another explanation here. I'm with Jez that the fuse cannot made an audible difference, however I believe Gaz when he says he heard a difference. How can the two be reconciled? The first possibility is expectation bias. The second possibility is an overlooked variable. Let me digress slightly for a moment.

I once heard a tale about a miraculous horse that could do maths. The horse was asked to do some simple arithmetic and it would give the answer by stomping its hoof a number of times. It was correct with nearly every question! How could it do it? It turned out that there was no deception on the part of the horse's owner, but there was an overlooked variable - the reaction of the observers. When the horse had stamped its hoof the correct number of times the observers would subtly change their body posture and facial expressions and the horse would pick up on that and stop stamping. When this overlooked variable was spotted the horse's miraculous ability was shown to be something else entirely.

So how does that relate to the "magic fuse"? Well, it would be entirely understandable that before replacing a fuse the equipment is turned off and disconnected from the mains. Maybe the volume control was turned down too. Without taking some measures to ensure the system was played at exactly the same volume after the fuse was replaced it would be quite possible for the playback volume to be a smidge louder. A smidge louder often leads to a better sound. So the observer does detect a real improvement, but it isn't due to the replaced fuse. It's just an overlooked variable.

Anyway, that's just something to ponder.
    Interesting about the horse, and unquestionably what you're inferring, especially in your last paragraph, is relevant to the discussion. That indeed could've happened, and without the knowledge of the listener.

However, how about a simpler explanation, in terms of 'audiophile' fuses having lower electrical resistance, due to how they're constructed internally and the materials used, compared with standard ones, which is perhaps why using them in a revealing, well-sorted system, results in both an audible sonic improvement and a reduction in safety!

In the absence of what you've suggested happening, I'm happy to go with that - especially as I know first-hand, from many years of experimenting with how hi-fi systems react, sonically, to receiving power from the mains supply, just how significant it can be removing a major 'bottleneck' from that chain.

Marco (who hard-wires his system, for that very reason, as far as is practically possible).
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    However, how about a simpler explanation, in terms of 'audiophile' fuses having lower electrical resistance, due to how they're constructed internally and the materials used, compared with standard ones, which is perhaps why using them in a revealing, well-sorted system, results in both an audible sonic improvement and a reduction in safety!
    That would seem extremely unlikely to me, if not impossible. As Jez has pointed out, after the fuse comes a whole load of stuff - transformer, rectifiers, capacitors, regulators - and there would seem to be a lot more possible explanations to eliminate before that one is the only one left.

I'm Grant.

I know we're not supposed to be abusive on the forum but the guy in that video is a nob.
    He makes a very good case . His camera shots not observing the curvature is great print. Unfortunately he fails to grasp that its extremely difficult to do that at anything under 35,000 feet, while having a 65 degree view unobstructed. If he looked through binoculars at a ship on horizon he would probably notice it, and that indeed was how man first found it. Alas that doesnt sell so well in the sticks....much better a conspiracy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

That would seem extremely unlikely to me, if not impossible. As Jez has pointed out, after the fuse comes a whole load of stuff - transformer, rectifiers, capacitors, regulators - and there would seem to be a lot more possible explanations to eliminate before that one is the only one left.
    Sure, yet, it was the only variable altered, during the experiment, with everything else remaining the same? That was certainly the case when I tried it and concluded, after much testing, subjectively, that the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses were effecting a notable sonic improvement, over standard fuses, in all equipment fitted with them.

Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree, as I've heard the effect many times of reducing resistance (and also lowering impedance) in the mains supply, powering hi-fi systems, and the nature of the sonic effects gained with the use of the above fuses aligns with what I've heard before, when I've achieved the same improvements by introducing mains upgrades elsewhere in the chain.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Standard fuses my induce noise into system that the fancier ones dont. Its after the main transformer supply that youve maybe cleaned with your fancy doodas, and may reintroduce it. Maybe why some folk dont use fuses in their designs... just a thought
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8m1u2ORXmE
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    He makes a very good case . His camera shots not observing the curvature is great print. Unfortunately he fails to grasp that its extremely difficult to do that at anything under 35,000 feet, while having a 65 degree view unobstructed. If he looked through binoculars at a ship on horizon he would probably notice it, and that indeed was how man first found it. Alas that doesnt sell so well in the sticks....much better a conspiracy
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Was of course the Greeks that first noticed it.... damn splitters
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    It simply baffles me how kids are tought theories in school as if they are fact. I could give a load of examples. I always believe that there is FAR more that we don't know than what we know, for me that's a correct perspective as it keeps you leaning forward scientificly.
    Yeah. I reckon that instead of kids just being told sulphuric acid is poisonous, they should be given some to drink.

Probably won't be much worse than them drinking Coca-Cola!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

And then, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GDhVoWSrMg
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Standard fuses my induce noise into system that the fancier ones dont. Its after the main transformer supply that youve maybe cleaned with your fancy doodas, and may reintroduce it. Maybe why some folk dont use fuses in their designs... just a thought
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast