+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasn't gonna post this...

I'm Gary.

Without wanting to open up my kit and spoil the current enjoyment of my Moozic...
    I refer the honourable Gentleman (and Anthony ) to my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah, come on guys (Gaz in particular), snap a clear pic of the fuses concerned (of what Anthony has requested) and let's see it!

Marco,
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

These fuses use graphene as the fusible conducting filament, in place of the usual tinned copper wire. That is why they are expensive.

However since a conventional 3A rated fuse uses a copper wire 0.15mm in diameter and 25mm long, it already has a vanishingly low series impedance of 0.025 Ohm + 0.4uH, so I cannot see how replacing the copper wire with a graphene filament could significantly improve on that.

At 50Hz, the 3A copper wire fuse will have an impedance of 0.025 + j4.10-7 Ohm, compared to a typical mains source impedance (at the wall socket) of 0.25 + j0.23 Ohm.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Synergy with the partnering equipment is due to the technical spec, as is everything else about it you might like. What else could it be due to?
    Lol - now I know why it's taken you so long to get to where you are with your system! Sorry mate, but that thinking is so simplistic I don't know where to start....

First of all, unless you *fundamentally* understand what the spec you're referring to means, and its relevance in relation to how a piece of equipment sounds, then its next to useless.

You might think you understand it enough to make a judgement call on how a piece of kit will sound, but in reality it'll be more down to luck than anything else.

Secondly, the most important factor, in terms of how the final sound of anything is achieved, is when the designer 'voices' it by ear. *That bit* is most influential in either you liking what you hear or not - and how would you measure that, let alone apply it to a spec??

That's the problem with playing 'Top Trumps' with hi-fi - it only ever reveals part of the story: the part that doesn't matter the most.

Don't get me wrong I am not advocating some uber-objective approach where if it measures correctly then it is correct even if it sounds rubbish. It is about using specs as a tool to enable you to get more for your money.
    Yes, and as I've said, that'll only work if you fundamentally understand what the specs mean, in relation to the sound quality produced by the equipment concerned, otherwise you're largely just kidding yourself on.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Without wanting to open up my kit and spoil the current enjoyment of my Moozic...
    I refer the honourable Gentleman (and Anthony ) to my original post.
    Lol - unfortunately the pics don't reveal the necessary details clearly enough. We need a clear close-up of what's written on the end caps.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

I know some audio designers do actually choose components for their 'sound quality' rather than just fitting X or Y capacitor because it fulfils its electrical function.

If an amplifier designer just assembled a piece of equipment purely based on technical specifications because electrically that's all the components needed to do then a) most amplifiers would sound the same and b) most of them would probably not sound very musical.

Yes technical specifications tell you something but they don't tell you how it will sound.

Going back to Gaz's fuse, trying to measure and understand the technical aspects only gets you part of the way. Sticking it in you system and listening tells you everything else.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I know some audio designers do actually choose components for their 'sound quality' rather than just fitting X or Y capacitor because it fulfils its electrical function.

If an amplifier designer just assembled a piece of equipment purely based on technical specifications because electrically that's all the components needed to do then a) most amplifiers would sound the same and b) most of them would probably not sound very musical.
    Indeed, on all counts! The first bit in particular is what Martin needs to 'get' - and once he does, he'll realise that no specs in the world will provide that information, quite simply because "sound quality", in isolation, can't be measured.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

My point missed completely as usual but never mind, carry on.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

So explain it better then - that's why it'll have been missed!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - unfortunately the pics don't reveal the necessary details clearly enough. We need a clear close-up of what's written on the end caps.

Marco.
    From memory?

Had a few of these fuses in now, standard stampage is "230V / (amp rating I chose)"
    All blank metal end caps with stamped voltage and whatever current rating I've specified to replace the stock rating I've had in before.

No fuss/No drama... looks like generic fuses apart from an acumulated ball of 'stuff' in the centre of the fuse.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

I will start a new thread at some point.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast