+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Control App for RPi3 and TIDAL

I'm Adam.

Default Music Control App for RPi3 and TIDAL

Hi was thinking to use on a Rpi 3 / HIFIBerry Digi + pro (with a nice Linear power supply)
    feeding into my (posh) USB/SPDIF converter and on to my (posh) DAC

I want to play music from my NAS drive (synology) and TIDAL High Res Streaming...

Which controller would anyone suggest?

I've looked at Roon Audio, looks nice but not sure with the RPi (and subscription is heavy)

Then looked at Volumio but this isn't clear about Tidal support..

I am not a Techie! at all!

and I would like to use the iPad and an I phone to use remotely..

Any suggestions please??
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mike.

You have already answered your question.
    Roon will answer all your prayers! The Tidal integration is the very best and the interface in beautifully executed.
    Depending on your NAS's performance, a NUC or smiliar might be needed for running the Core Service though! And the Raspberry Pi's work just fine as endpoints, one or several.
    Cheers Mike
    Last edited by AlfaGTV; 11-01-2017 at 15:24. Reason: Clarify, Spelling

I'm Adam.

Thanks Mike
    I am terrible with PC computers, so to get it clear I can install Roon directly on the RPi3?
    and then just control it from the iPad and iPhone?

Also what is a NUC ? (sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    You have already answered your question.
    Roon will answer all your prayers! The Tidal integration is the very best and the interface in beautifully executed.
    Depending on your NAS's performance, a NUC or smiliar might be needed for running the Core Service though! And the Raspberry Pi's work just fine as endpoints, one or several.
    Cheers Mike

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Richard.

I've had Roon for over a year now and I don't think I could use anything else. Yes, the price is a bit of a sting at the outset but when you see just how nice it is to use, and how much heavy development work is going into it, it feels worth every penny.

Getting it up and running on the Pi isn't quite as simple as just writing an SD card and plugging it in but there's a comprehensive guide on getting RoonBridge going here: http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall and once you've done it, you don't need to think about it again. Any software updates are applied automatically and in use, you just switch on the Pi, let it see your Roon server running on your PC/Mac/NAS and take control of everything with your phone/tablet/PC running the Roon Remote software.
    Rich

I'm Adam.

Wonderful Richard...
    That sounds where I want to be!
    So I am starting to understand that now... so The Roon Bridge will be on the Pi, all I have to do now is accertain if the Synology NAS is ok to host the Roon Server?

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    I've had Roon for over a year now and I don't think I could use anything else. Yes, the price is a bit of a sting at the outset but when you see just how nice it is to use, and how much heavy development work is going into it, it feels worth every penny.

Getting it up and running on the Pi isn't quite as simple as just writing an SD card and plugging it in but there's a comprehensive guide on getting RoonBridge going here: http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall and once you've done it, you don't need to think about it again. Any software updates are applied automatically and in use, you just switch on the Pi, let it see your Roon server running on your PC/Mac/NAS and take control of everything with your phone/tablet/PC running the Roon Remote software.

I'm Marc.

Mopidy has a Tidal plugin and a number of neat control apps I particularly like Spotmo/Iris in a web browser and Mopidy Mobile on my Android phone.

Mopidy is an easy install with DietPi and from there you'd just need to add and configure the Tidal plugin.

Roon is expensive and requires quite a substantial computer to run the server, I'd be surprised if it ran on the NAS and the Pi is only supported as an 'endpoint' (player) not as the server.

I'm Adam.

Thanks Marc
    More food for thought..

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Mopidy has a Tidal plugin and a number of neat control apps I particularly like Spotmo/Iris in a web browser and Mopidy Mobile on my Android phone.

Mopidy is an easy install with DietPi and from there you'd just need to add and configure the Tidal plugin.

Roon is expensive and requires quite a substantial computer to run the server, I'd be surprised if it ran on the NAS and the Pi is only supported as an 'endpoint' (player) not as the server.

I'm Barry.

Another problem with Roone, it only supports the newer iPads. Moode will work with tidal using airplay.

I'm Adam.

Damn It!
    I have an old iPad...
    this is getting complex!

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    Another problem with Roone, it only supports the newer iPads. Moode will work with tidal using airplay.

I'm Adam.

yes i see, the point of me going this route was to try and illuminate the need for another computer to be on the link..

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast