+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cassette resurgance

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Never seen one, except photos.

Re Nak's yes some are overrated but the CR5, CR7 and Dragon aren't in my view, they are about as good as tape got in regards to the machines I have heard, played with.
    My favourite Nak was an ZX-9 , however my favourite 'cassette ' machine is my Sony Elcaset EL-7

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSYjTKBRYI

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    My favourite Nak was an ZX-9 , however my favourite 'cassette ' machine is my Sony Elcaset EL-7

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSYjTKBRYI
    Never seen or heard a ZX-9 or an Elcaset. Read good things, but no first hand experience.
    Regards Neil

I'm Rob.

I had a Cambridge cassette player for very long time and thought it was great. It was one of these:

I believe it was built by NAD for Cambridge.

However I brought a Nakamichi DR-3 (2 head) player a few years ago for a ridiculously cheap price on ebay (less than £50). I had thought I'd never be able to afford a Nak! It's very much at the bottom end of the Nak range but I was still amazed at how much better it was than the Cambridge.

The Cambridge has long gone, but the Nak is still in my number two system in my Office/Study. It's now mainly used to play audio books, that I have a large collection of - built up over the years I worked as a Pre-Sale engineer and was therefore on the road a lot. There is no cassette player in my main system. Oh and my minidisc player is in the number two system too (it's where my old hi-fi goes to die)
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Rob.

To be honest - the main problem nowadays is getting decent blank cassette at a reasonable price. There are companies still making them (an example), but the prices for old stock chrome cassette seem ridiculous to me.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Alan.

Yes poor tape is a problem, last year I bought some NOS TDK SA 90s but it wasent great and does not Bias evenly between the channels I also bough some Sony tape which was also not consistent at all frequency's, this was frustrating for me as I was trying to calibrate the Bias & record levels of my deck , I have good calibration tapes so I know the deck is OK on playback.
    The best tape stock I got that really sounded good was the Maxell LXII, this is wonderful tape .
    I have had several Cassette decks over the years and still have a Nak BX150e which is just OK, Ive allways thought of Cassette as a substandard but very likable sound, until I bought a knackered Tascam 122 mk2, after fixing that I have to say the sound quality is very good indeed and I have started using it again
    Tape hiss is still a problem with Cassette and I do not like what any type of Dolby does to tape so I dont use it.
    There is something about the sound of tape to me that just makes it the ultimate analogue format IMO particularly from R2R

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Dave.

I still have my Sony Deck - I think it was the highest in their range at the time. It was next to impossible to tell the difference between a tape and a CD from which the tape had been made.

I also bought a Sherwood deck for my dad and that was similar. Indeed on some types of music it did sound just a tad better.

I agree that on the whole tape was fairly poor - but then we had all the usual - portables, Walkman etc. which grabbed the tape, chewed the tapes up, loads of tape hiss.
    Having said that, we still use a tape player for listening to speech tapes.

If I find time in the next day or so I'll do a photo of my Sony deck.

I didn't get into Mini Disc until very late in the day. I have heard lots of Mini Discs since (bought off eBay) and most don't compare with the sound I expected from my cassette deck - though that could be because of the material which was recorded.
    Dave

I'm John.

Tape can be great and you don't need a Nak to explote it. There are many good decks and with the right tapes you can make great recordings that are of very high quality. There are good decks around for good prices some may need a bit of work but, there are plenty of parts around on the net if you look .

I'm paul.

Still use my technics direct drive top loader to play tapes. Why would I want to record anything from vinyl or cd when I have the vinyl and/or cd. It got plenty of attention at Scalford a couple of years ago when audio al loaned me some speakers......don't ask.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123