+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jez arkless hybrid mc phonostage

I'm steven.

Having had the arkless hybrid mc phonostage for a few days I've finally found the words to describe it.I heard something special from it in parts I could tell that with a longer time listening to it it would show me more of it's character.From the brief time I had it it presented to me tremendous detail I'm sure I heard things in albums I've never heard before.On an album the emperors new clothes acid jazz I heard a lovely shimmer from a cymbal on one track and numerous other jaw dropping moments on other albums.All in all a very entertaining phonostage plenty of detail but not clinical or analytical it makes you want to listen to the music not analyse it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Thanks for the good review and for the prompt return of the demo unit Steve
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm peter.

Just adding on to a few things Steve has already mentioned I had a brief listen to the hybrid phono stage and have to admit there was something very very special happening to the music. I would have liked a lot more time with it however my system whilst very nice only has mm if I ever move up to mc I will be asking Jez very kindly for a good 3 or 4 day listening session. I believe it would shine when used in a mid to high end system. Anyone looking for a seriously good mc phono stage should put this on a shortlist HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac
    Powered by a DEBEN tracer battery
    Mc5000 klotz ms audio cables(cheers Brian).
    REGA couple 2 ics
    JEZ ARKLESS phono stage
    RUSS ANDREWS powermax mains cables
    ISOTEK POLARIS mains block
    ATLAS Speaker cables
    CREEK OBH21 SE head amp
    BRIANS silver hybrid ics

I'm Brook.

Is this still available as a loan unit?

I'm Simon.

Great sounding stage, best valve phono I've heard by a country mile. Valvey and unvalvey the same time, super filigree but with solid state bass.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    Is this still available as a loan unit?
    That's a trickier question than it sounds Yes...ish!

Steve lives about 12 miles from me and so postage didn't come into it. Although not massively heavy, to send by fully insured, tracked and signed for carriage it costs me about £28 to send it out for a demo, and a recipient the same to send it back.... As an impoverished one man band manufacturer, and having now already had several very good reviews on this unit, I wouldn't really want to be sending this out for demo unless the demo-ee was VERY seriously looking to buy a phono stage at this pretty high end price range (£2-3K or so depending on the exact build a customer requested). FFS there are quiet weeks where my takings fall short of £100 so to send a demo unit out @ £28 postage...... It's not so bad when there's a list of a few people interested in seriously trying a demo unit and therefore I pay one lot of postage, maybe 4-10 people try it, maybe, hopefully, I get an order or two and the demo unit eventually "round robins" it's way back to base.... So there's a big hint there if several folk are interested

However... The MM phono section of my forthcoming hybrid full MM pre amp/MM phono stage/line stage range is closely based on the circuitry of this hybrid MC stage and my R&D on that has resulted in several upgrades I have in mind for this unit... A full MkII in effect, so substantial are the changes... with a different second section valve type, discrete HT regulators for each stage of each channel and a few smaller upgrades. Now, superb as this unit is already, I'd be loath to get an order for this one, based on a demo of it, and then to announce the availability of a substantially better MkII a week later...

A bit of an ethical dilemma I suppose. A MkII of many goods/products will come out and there is always going to be someone who buys the last MkI.... and wishes they'd known a MkII was just around the corner... or does/should a manufacturer keep promoting and selling a MkI model? Knowing he has plans for a MkII... but not knowing quite when it will be available...

Well I reckon in this small audio community, and for a one man band, full disclosure of the probable existence of a MkII soon is by far the best way Especially as, in the case of custom builds, one builds quite a rapport with a customer, what with all the phone calls over the build etc, and sometimes becomes friends/acquaintances... I couldn't look someone in the eye and say "hay mate, you know that £2.5K phono you bought of me? Well if you'd ordered it a month later you could have had a much better one for only £100 more".... Nah

Edit: Common sense dictates of course that if the idea for a MkII came in a flash of inspiration, a month after selling the last MkI, that's a different matter As improvements to this have been cogitating for a while though I thought it best to make it clear to anyone interested in a demo of this one, with the postage costs plus time and trouble involved, that a MkII is in the pipeline
    Last edited by Arkless Electronics; 15-01-2017 at 01:36.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Brook.

I see, trickier indeed, best if I pm you I think Jez.

I'm Jez.

Well Speedracers question was basically "do you make a cheaper MM only version" and the answer is yes... soon. It's all here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...MM-phono-stage

I'm Steve.

Thumbs up

Sounds interesting

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Sounds interesting
    It's the one I brought to that NEBO when we had mains supply issues...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123