+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 'NEBO 8 -Sat 6th May 2017 - St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, guys. Great write up and pics, Rich. Looks like you had a great time, at probably the best venue yet. Shame I couldn't make it this time, but will defo be at the next one!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm steven.

Marco you and macca were a big miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Sounds like you had a great day lads and like the pics and write up Rich also sound like a great venue nice one.
    Love the Thorens 160 super , a deck I lusted after for years when I couldn't afford one
    Steves Hecos are also awesome heard them several time and I am mighty impressed
    ALAN
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Stephen.

Not really one for male bonding. It was nice though to meet everyone. And pleased the Technics SL-P1200 seemed to so well liked. Bit surprised it still worked after the 3 mile jarring by foot it got. It did sound rather good, though.

Just wanted to mention that the Roy Orbison "Black And White Night" has at least 8 issues. At least 4 of them have different running orders and mix/sound quality. A new CD/DVD, CD/Bluray came out this year for the 30th Anniversary. Bit of a disappointment as the audience participation has been turned right down . Roy's vocals seem to have been given priority. One of his sons did the remixing. I don't know how the DVD/Bluray might sound. The version heard last night was from 1998. Has no writing at the bottom of the cover:

Sounds much more dynamic. The EAN number ends 89129. The original, with the green sleeve notes on Virgin, sounds nearly as good. The issue from 1999:

Has the best feel of the live event, but the guitars of Springsteen and Burnett are woefully muted.

Still think the VHS has the best sound. When I used to post here, now and again I used to bang on about it. Not that anyone took any notice.

Looking forward to next year's. Sadly, without the Technics.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky View Post
    I think I missed a few fellas out in my review notably Johnjo all the way from Ireland and Bruce the American from Bradford and Gordon halfway tree he of linkwitz speaker fame top fellas everyone Ali of Scottish mafia fame's open baffle speakers would have been superb at this venue.Also would have liked to hear Colin topps new designs I hope he comes next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes Steve, I did the same thing myself. I forgot to mention Mike (Jac Hawk) who's upgraded Rega Planer 3 sounded rather nice. I have posted some pictures on the Nebo FB page as Photobucket is being a pain in the arse. And of course Mik Rik with whom I collaborated. His Yaqin pre amp always a star as is his wonderful Radford which turned out to be a storm on a tea cup.
    Last edited by Floyddroid; 08-05-2017 at 13:03.

I'm Gary.

Well done Guys, looks and sounds like a great day.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky View Post
    Marco you and macca were a big miss
    Cheers mate. I've always enjoyed NEBO. It was just one of those things this time, not helped by the fact that the previous weekend I'd driven up to Glasgow and back (nearly 600 miles in total), visiting a friend, so another long drive this weekend was just a bit too much

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm mick.

Hi everyone ,I left and missed packing those 3 isolation feet we used early on for the rega t/t .Hoping somebody packed them away.Phoned the venue just now and they can't find them and will have to wait until some with keys to the safe arrives to check inside.Hoping they turn up as it will mar an otherwise "grand day out" Mick
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm Martin.

Yes, sorry I had to miss it but it couldn't be helped. Really wanted to hear Steve's Hecos and Ken's speaker project. Venue looks great, hopefully will be there for the next one. And thanks to Stephen for bringing the Technics along anyway, will get in touch to sort something out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

has anyone had issues uploading photos to photobucket? i've been trying since yesterday and only got a handful uploaded

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast