+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 'NEBO 8 -Sat 6th May 2017 - St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The lack of a stripper?

Nah - sounds good! Did Macca make it?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hahaha... Glad to hear it! So how pished is Steve (Floydy) - can he still stand up, and more seriously, has he done any 'dad dancing' yet?

Marco.
    Still gong strong too

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The lack of a stripper?

Nah - sounds good! Did Macca make it?

Marco.
    Not yet, but the night's young

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

So is Martin not there? He did say that he was getting the train up...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Hey guys thanks for the kind words and sorry I couldn't attend, hope you all have a great day and look forward to the pics and write up

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm John.

Well, that's it for another year. Great day. Thanks everyone

I'm Steve.

Good day to you all.

Well, what a great day. Yes indeed as per usual I had a little bit too much go go juice and feeling it today. However, i did refrain from dancing which is a good thing. Sadly Macca didn't make it which was a real shame as Steve (Mr Kipling) brought along a cd player for him. We did get to hear it though and it sounded sublime. Funky looker too. The venue was great too although I must remember not to charge drinks to my room. I nearly pood my kaki catchers when I checked out this morning. Hats off to Rich. He did a sterling job. The drive home in a rattley work's van soon sobered me up though. I will check in a little later as a need a granda nap.

I'm Ken.

Left the Gig at around 11:30pm, home for midnight and 15min to unload. Just dumped everything inside the door and hit the sack, tiring but very enjoyable day.

Nice to see the usual suspects and welcome some new faces.

Good mix of kit, particularly liked the two classic CD players from Technics and Rega, very different in looks and concept but equally enjoyable.
    Valves where represented in the rega CD, pre amps and a couple of power amps, and some nice Solid state to balance the content.
    Steve(Floydroid) floorstanders were big and gave a powerful room filling performance.

Usual wide variety of music, liked the live recording of Roy Orbison.

Great day, nice one Rich!

There were cameras clicking, so I'm sure pictures and model details for the gear will follow.

I'm Gordon.

Had a great time yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the systems and the music. Great to see some new faces, too.

A special big thanks to Rich for organising - best rooms we've had soundwise IMO. Big rooms, nice solid floors and high ceiling's - excellent stuff Rich! A big thanks to Steve (those Hecos do make a statement!) and Ken (those new woofers integrated well, especially with the custom ceramic stands) for bringing the heavy weight stuff and everyone else for the gear -especially John for lugging that that nice sounding Prima Luna poweramp all the way from NI.

Everyone around the large table for dinner was a great touch - gave us all a chance to get to know each other and how we got into this hifi malarky.

There were lots of pics taken so I'm sure some will get posted soon.

Roll on NEBO 9 and if we can get the same venue I might be persuaded to bring the big Maggies!

I'm Rich.

Default NEB0 8 – write up and pics

NEB0 8 – write up and pics

Ok, so not long got home and put the bits of my system back system together. With lunch cooking and my head feeling clearer after yesterday’s lubrication here’s my summing up and phone pics. There were plenty photos taken throughout the course of the day with somewhat better equipment so hopefully we’ll see some more of them on here.

Firstly a HUGE THANK YOU, to all who attended and make NEBO what it is. You never know how these events are going to go and I was a bit concerned that some of the usual suspects and people who had confirmed on here and elsewhere couldn’t make it and having just returned from hols, I wasn’t able to take last minute rain checks from people. Nonetheless, we still had a good turn out and what a fantastic venue the St Georges Hotel proved it be. I think if we were ever considering a full blown show a’la Scalford then this would be the perfect venue for it. Plenty parking, easy load in/out, decent rooms, very helpful staff, good rates etc. Particular mention here to young Jonathan the receptionist/barman/fixer who went out of his way several times during the course of the day to ensure we were looked after in spite of having a National Holidays coach party in the hotel to sort out. At the end of the night my room was comfortable for crashing out in as a busy few days caught up with me.

So, onto the event itself… Got there around 10.30 to find Steve (Floyddroid) Ken (Qwin) and Steve (Mr Kipling) already there and getting set up. We were joined shortly after by Mike (Jac Hawk) who it was lovely to see again. Mike had been one of the first AoS members I’d ever met shortly after I’d first joined, and we’d visited each other to hear our systems way back and it was nice to catch up again. We had loads of space for gear and could easily have accommodated many more systems. I was a bit worried the massive ballroom would prove a challenge to getting good sound with that massive dancefloor and iffy acoustics but not a bit of it, the partition dividers worked a treat and we were able to create two good spaces for the gear and mostly overcome the challenges the enormity of the venue presented.

Whilst Ken was setting up his showcase system Mike and I set up an initial system with my Rega RS5, Arcam CD17/A29, Chromecast Audio, DAC and his modified Rega Planar which sounded fab through the Arcam’s own phonostage. We played a variety of stuff on this system as people began to arrive, including some jazz from Curtis Amy, shoegaze rock from Mazzy Star, prog from Pink Floyd/Porcupine Tree, and plenty picks from Mike’s crate of vinyl. Pics below show this early doors system with Mik Rik’s TVC preamp, Steve’s Schit Mani phono stage and the fabulous Proton Power amp in waiting for the next round.

After a good spell enjoying this system and during which time we were joined by more familiar faces (Clarkey555, Vinyljunky, Halfway Tree) the big guns in the shape of Steve’s monolithic Heco ‘The Statement’ speakers were brought out for more vinyl and CDs. These were stunning and filled the space effortlessly. Plenty of great vinyl being played on this system including Fox, Terence Trent D’arby and Grace Jones and also CDs brought along by the attendees.

I think it was around this time I became aware of new faces amongst us and it was genuine pleasure to welcome, Peter (Petrat), JohnB, Bruce and JohnJo to NEBO who had both travelled to join us, John in particular making the trip from Northern Ireland, thanks for making the journey!

Then we moved onto Ken’s system, I won’t attempt to describe what work Ken has done on this system as it is covered in other threads on AoS, except to say that he really played a blinder with his DIY 3 way speakers, fabulous turntable and meticulous attention to detail throughout. Ken has every right to be happy with this system as it sounded wonderful and filled the space he had beautifully. A good chunk of the afternoon was spent with this system, Ken accommodating many vinyl requests and Peter’s Rega valve ISIS proving to sources of the highest quality. It’s well known I’ve soft spot for a bit Rega and hearing the flagship CD player was a real treat. I’d have one in my system anyday, very natural and engaging for digital source.

With the afternoon seemingly disappearing whilst we enjoyed the music, Mr Kipling brought us an exceedingly good CD player to enjoying in the shape of his Technics. Combined with the TVC preamp, Proton power amp and HECO speakers this was a hugely enjoyable system and his selections of live Roy Orbison, Louis Prima got our toes tapping and my Amazon account took a hammering for these and other CDs we played on this system. We even got to sample some dub from Radical Dance Faction and Mad Professor as well as great acoustic stuff from Morphine.

Then back to the black stuff (or purple or luminous), Vinyljunky living up to his name with his Thorens deck with Mission arm/ZYX cartridge and Primare phono stage played in the TVC/Proton/Heco system for a bit. A little fettling had this deck really singing with some southern rock and plenty more digs from the various crates around.

As the evening drew on and we became hungry, plans were hatched for a takeaway curry to be ordered in. Whilst we waited for our grub and dined we put the Arcam CD player back into action for some acoustic blues from Mr Mayall. The sound from this system really filled the room whilst we filled our bellies with the grub and soaked up some of the drink. (Hats off to Mike for negotiating the extra poppadums and pickles).

Fed and watered it was now onto the late session and in normal NEBO fashion that means valves and vinyl. It wouldn’t be NEBO without the Radford making an appearance and it paired up with the HECO monsters beautifully, didn’t struggle one bit, an excellent match. Just a lovely rich and energetic sound from this amp. As spirited as the first time I ever hear it. The keen eyed amongst you will observe the soon to be patented ceramic isolation technique, remember you saw it here first folks!

With this system sounding good it was time for a little phono stage bake off, in this case the Schit Mani up against a Firebottle entry level offering. Sorry I cant recall the proper name of it, sure someone will clarify. For this we broke out a vintage automatic Pioneer deck from Mick with my Denon DL-110. The deck itself seemed to be prone to a bit of rumble/feedback on certain bass frequencies, very odd, much fettling ensured and we got it under control but all agreed that was a shortcoming of the deck itself rather than any of the matching equipment. Soldering on we used 3 tracks for the bake off, 2 from ZZ Top Tres Hombres and Come Together from the Beatles Abbey Road. Both phono stages availed themselves well and for pocket money the Schit seems a good buy. The Firebottle for me though saw greater separation, more resolved and composed overall. One small criticism I found with it was the cymbal hits on the 2 ZZ Top tracks, they just seemed a little thin and, like an odd decay effect. I dunno, blame the cider but I need to go back and hear this again in my own system to see what is actually going on. I’m not a phono stage affecionado, living mostly with digital sources. Interesting to know others thoughts on this.
    Other than that I know very little about the Firebottle or Schitt as they brought by one of the attendees.

Other notable mentions, a Primaluna power amp I was really impressed with brought by John. So composed and engaging, lovely thing. Again it paired well with the HECOs and TVC pre.

Ken’s amazing turntable

Ken’s DIY speakers (note top secret design ceramic isolation units, rrp £100 each, contact me for a special order!)

A real treat for a Kraftwerk fan.

Mick’s Yaqin valve preamp

Steve’s spinning reels, ‘meet the new boss, same as the old boss’ ;-)

The Firebottle OTP

So that’s it for now, I think if we do another we’ll use the same venue. It seems to be a great home for us and, if we’re all behind it NEBO will continue. A personal thanks to everyone who came, contributed and who has supported NEBO over the years. It is the people that make it.

Rich.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast