+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 sub platter issue?

I'm Bob.

Default Heybrook TT2 sub platter issue?

Hi all,
    New to the forum and vintage hi-fi too. Bear with me as i don't really know what i'm talking about.
    I recently purchased a Heybrook TT2 and the platter is catching on the plinth. The problem seems to be caused by the central bearing being off center but if you try and center it with the three adjusting bolts they seem to have little effect. If any one that has experience of this type of deck, what is the likely cause of the issue, could it be the spring is out of alignment or something as simple as the M6 nut that holds the spring bushes in place needs tightening so as to lift the platter away from the plinth as at the moment there is also not the required 5mm gap between the platter and the plinth,.....
    Is is this something an amateur can sort or does it need an expert and if it can be sorted by an amateur any suggestions/ hints on how to tackle this as i do not want to damage anything by just blundering in.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Bigman80 Guest

Put your platter on a flat surface to check it isn't warped. I've had that before now.

Plenty of people on here with excellent knowledge so I'm sure you'll get it fixed.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The TT2 used straight aluminium for their platters as I recall. They were superbly turned and didn't appear to warp either, unlike Linn and similar Mazak types if not 'rested' long enough between turning operations.

The sub-chassis should float centrally with the bearing centred in the top plate 'hole.' The springs should sit properly in their grommet bushings and usually, the suspension was easily levelled vertically from the top, the lack of 'twist' in the springs and the specially shaped bottom washers (from distant memory) keeping the adjusting nuts in place as the bolt is twisted. Hopefully a TT2 owner can confirm as it's nearly thirty years since I last set one up - eek!!! Lovely decks if you get 'em right.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

I almost bid on this one myself! You got a good deal there, I reckon.

It sound as though the suspension is out of adjustment, which is dead easy to sort out if that's all it is. Does the platter wobble up and down as it rotates? If not, does it always touch the plinth at the same point? If so, whereabouts?

Just to put you in the picture, I designed the TT2, and probably assembled this one.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

Bigman80 Guest

Lol, that's what I'm talking about. Knowledge.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Shane.

One othe point. The EBay listing mentioned the problem, but it's fairly obvious that the tested it without an arm installed. That will throw out the levelling as the weight of the arm has been taken away. Have you put an arm on?

I'm Shane.

Ok, I'm not paying attention. Your photo shows the turntable without the arm fitted. That's what is causing the problem. If you press down the arm board with your finger next to the arm mounting holes, you,ll see the opposite side of the platter lift up as the chassis levels out.

I'm Geoff.

Why not put a suitable weight on the armboard at the arm mounting point and try it then?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Bob.

Thanks everyone. Good to have an expert on the case Shane. Were these initialled at all when being assembled?

The platter is true so I think that can be ruled out.

Sadly I don't have a tonearm but even applying the smallest amount of pressure on the armboard causes the platter to bind more. The white / grey areas in the picture show where it is catching and scuffing. Same spot every time.

Tonearms - I'm again completely lost. Have read on here that a Jelco 750d could be a good fit for the TT2. As a newb would this be a complete waste on me and i should start off with something cheaper?

I'm Shane.

Don't worry, I'm sure it's not a problem. Without the weight of the arm and the correct dressing of the arm lead, the suspension's going to be all over the place, so you really can't make any meaningful assessment of the adjustment. It's extremely unlikely that anything is bent or warped. The chassis is made from 2x1x1/8 steel tube normally used for farm gates and such like, and the platter is a hefty aluminium casting that simply doesn't warp. As a quick check, put the transit bolt in and tighten it up, which clamps the chassis to the bottom of the plinth top plate (if you didn't get a transit bolt with the turntable, it's just an m5x30 bolt with a penny washer on it). With the bolt tight, the platter should sit flat and level, about 8 to 10 mm above the plinth, and should rotate evenly with no rise and fall, although you may find that the belt falls off like this, in which case just put it in the 45rpm position. If that's as it should be, then your TT2 is in good condition, and just needs setting up properly. Did you get the instruction book with it?
    Last edited by shane; 13-01-2017 at 07:13. Reason: Transit bolt size corrected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast