+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hifi Gurus/Engineers/Reviewers

I'm Rob.

Default Hifi Gurus/Engineers/Reviewers

When browsing today I noticed that we have in our midst some that either have or still work in the electronics industry or have been reviewers of equipment.

I think that it would be beneficial (if they were willing) to have a section where they could share their history and experience and their take on Hifi/Audio equipment. With their experience they could tell us what is manufacturers bullshit and where money is best spent and any tweaks that are worth doing etc?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm joe.

Having seen the stick engineers often get on here for suggesting that some beloved tweaks are a waste of time because they simply can't do 'what it says on the tin', I doubt you'll be getting many takers.

I'm Rob.

Yes Joe, you may be right. What I am more interested in is their take on the hifi industry, you know things like "is the new MAGICAL FIGELITY amp really much better than the previous incarnation, or is it just a styling exercise, that sort of thing.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Having seen the stick engineers often get on here for suggesting that some beloved tweaks are a waste of time because they simply can't do 'what it says on the tin', I doubt you'll be getting many takers.
    Correct. Apparently the impossible happens every day in hi fi and the Laws of Physics don't apply in this "post-truth" world so count me out...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    What I am more interested in is their take on the hifi industry, you know things like "is the new MAGICAL FIGELITY amp...
    Is that the one for perennial fidgets?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Correct. Apparently the impossible happens every day in hi fi and the Laws of Physics don't apply in this "post-truth" world so count me out...
    It isn't only hi-fi. That's the annoying thing. Another version of the truth is prolific just about everywhere. Most annoyingly in the workplace, which is just too close to the bone to be comfortable with on so many occasions.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Yes Joe, you may be right. What I am more interested in is their take on the hifi industry, you know things like "is the new MAGICAL FIGELITY amp really much better than the previous incarnation, or is it just a styling exercise, that sort of thing.
    With reviewers, much will depend on whether the manufacturer/distributor has taken out a full-page advert in their publication.

I'm Grant.

Not nessessarily. It,ll depend on many factors, like life i guess.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Sounds like a bit of a hot potato this one, the main problem with Hi Fi is everyone has their own opinion, i know what you're getting at Rob for trade members to act as like a "bullshit" filter and advise where clever marketing has been employed by the manufacturer, however i also understand where Jez is coming from, as soon as he gives his opinion there will be folks out there saying he has an ulterior motive or some such nonsense because he's in the trade.

As this is an enthusiasts forum, i would have thought the insight given by any member is worth taking into account.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    As this is an enthusiasts forum, i would have thought the insight given by any member is worth taking into account.
    Absolutely Mike. I just thought that some with more technical knowledge than I might enlighten us more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast