+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Odyssey

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Mike.

Ive been on here and the Wam a while but never got around to posting much about my system, anyway I thought I would do so, so here goes.

I was a keen musician at school and thought about going to music college. Giving up this idea I was keen to have a decent system to reproduce music at home.

This started as the usual Richer Sound system (Technics CD/Marantz PM66SE/MS 10i) which was pretty enjoyable, though compromised by my room at the time.

Not sure why, but I progressed (!?) to a Naim pre/power around 2000 and some PMC GB1s.

I never was happy with this and eventually I was in a position to do something about it. I bought a XTC Pre/Art Audio Quintet, and suddenly everything came alive. This sounded great but in limited way. So now I wanted more...Living Voice IBX R2s came next...in hindsight not a great choice (for me) most probably down to the shape of the room/proximity of the side walls.

I felt/was told that it couldn’t be the speakers and started the journey.

Some small changes coincided with a move to a different room where the side walls were much further away and things did improve but by now I had heard better. Also I had started playing for a local amateur orchestra which had reignited my interest in classical music.

Listening to the LSO perform Rachmaninov Symphonic dances at the Barbican, brought it home. I had been changing my musical taste/programme to suit my set up and in reality my system did a poor job of playing anything with real scale.

By now I had got to know some people in the industry and had listened to a fair bit more kit.
    I thought it could be the lack of pre amplifier. This lead to the purchase of a Puresound L300 which helped but didn’t really solve the problem.
    Next I decided that it must be the Power Amplifier. So I auditioned several including Canary, Border patrol etc.
    The Canary 300b PP were the closest to right but the ones I borrowed had a noisy transformer and a couple of conversations convinced me that I didn't want to sort this out.

In fact I was talking to an amplifier manufacturer explaining that I couldn't get the scale/dynamics and realism that I wanted and that I didn’t know where to go...Tannoys he said they would be a step in the right direction for you…
    Last edited by Mike Adams; 15-01-2017 at 19:10.
    StSt Motus DQ + SME 312 'MB Special'
    Transfix Axia / HM7
    Art Audio Vinyl 1 Ref
    Modified Mac Mini/Weiss DAC 202
    SJS Model 2
    BP P20 (SJS upgraded)
    Trenner and Friedl RA
    [/SIZE]

+ Reply to Thread