+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Celestion Ditton 66 recap

I'm Deleted.

Default Celestion Ditton 66 recap

It's not usually considered a good idea to have all the inductors orientated the same way, particularly ones that are close together. Are they like that for a particular reason?

Edit: Oh, I see Paul has already covered this. The interaction between coils is very well known and widely documented. In addition, as Paul says, it is very easy to measure. I have also tried measuring inductors in close proximity to metal sheets and, again, the effect is very easy to measure and quite significant.
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

hi,
    thats the way celestion placed them.
    im just going to enjoy them for a while now
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Default Celestion Ditton 66 recap

Hmm... strange that they should ignore the protocol. Have you perhaps replaced the coils with air-cored variants? I say this because air-cored replacements are invariably much larger than the ferrite cored alternatives and produce a significantly larger radiated field.
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

no ive not touched the inductors,they are original to the crossovers,same as kens 66's,you mentioned the same thing on his thread,memory loss?

with all the grief with the hf2000's tweeters it has lead me to look at suitable replacement rather than gamble again buying second hand. the seas unit spring to mind and has been mentioned a lot.
    the other is the Hiquphon ow1,not much info and what there is is over my head,anyone know if it would be ok?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Sorry if I am repeating myself, I'll but out I'm only mentioning it in an academic sense, it's not a big deal, it's just interesting . Enjoy is what I say!
    Account Deleted

I'm Rod.

I've said this before but I think you have to have some faith that a well established loudspeaker company, such as Celestion, would have listened to the speakers with the crossovers in situ, with the inductors placed the way they are, measured them and pronounced them OK.

Back in the day would the process be: design an ideal crossover circuit first on paper for the drivers in question, not necessarily taking inductor interaction into account (but they would know all about how they behave in proximity), or try out several specifications and pick the one that works best in the cabinets and sounds and measures best, then publish the ideal values in a diagram that you know works.

We have to assume that Celestion/Kef had testing facilities and that changes to the crossover were made taking measurements from testing/listening with the cabinets complete.

Enjoy them Jamie, as they they have been for decades from a company that knows something about producing good speakers.

It is interesting to know Mark about how inductors interact so much with each other it may be why I've had issues getting my other, non Celestion, speakers working properly in the bass area.
    I'm now getting my meter out to measure what's going on with the paired inductors in question, a quick orientation change to one might help - so thanks for the input.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    Today i have removed the Mundorf lytic/Ansar poly mix for the MD500 mid and replaced it with 2 low loss 12uf Alcaps, 24uf LL are not available anymore. Now the crossovers are total as per originals,like for like replacement caps.
    Job done and no more messing about!

Jamie, do you mind if I ask why you chose to swap out the Mundorf Ecap and Ansar combination in the MF circuit for LL Alcaps? Did you just do it to preserve originality or was there a sonic reason? What was the resulting change in sound? I'm currently renovating a pair of 66's and am about to re-cap the crossovers.
    Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

I'm jamie.

if you read from post 25 it will explain the red label tweeters and what happened,there are measurements of the tweeters too,in regards to the caps i just wanted to go as close to the factory ones as possible and changed them as a results of fault finding regarding the low output high end .
    hope that helps
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    with all the grief with the hf2000's tweeters it has lead me to look at suitable replacement rather than gamble again buying second hand. the seas unit spring to mind and has been mentioned a lot.
    the other is the Hiquphon ow1,not much info and what there is is over my head,anyone know if it would be ok?
    I replaced the HF2000 tweeters with Hiquphon OW1 in my 66s some time ago. I also rebuilt the crossovers using new capacitors with some additional series resistors, as per various mammoth threads on diy audio with contributions from people who know much more about speaker design than me.

To fit the OW1s you need to enlarge the hole slightly and tweak the crossover HF attenuation a bit.

I am very happy with the results although I only use the 66s with the TV (driven by a Rega Brio R).

My speakers had one dead tweeter and one re-capped crossover when I bought them, so there didn't seem much point in trying to keep them original.

I have also replaced HF2000s in a couple of 44s using the SEAS tweeter. The 44s never sounded quite as good as the 66s although I think that's down to the midrange as much as anything else.

My 66s are about 4" off a solid floor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456