+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion Ditton 66 recap

I'm Rod.

Hi Jamie

Perhaps using a 'musical instrument' as an example is a bit misleading, as you say, the instrument is designed to work with more limited frequencies to produce those sounds. I've always found on modest sized cabinets, your latter example, using a more rigid cabinet using steel with carbon fibre where possible to keep the enclosure light but very stiff works well - it's surprising how little damping is required if the cabinet is tuned and braced correctly. My point was really to say that mass damping can lead to lifeless, dull sound.

I think I'll be ordering some of the Alcaps from Falcon, I can't see the originals fairing too well - the 72uf measure well out of spec.
    Still haven't heard anything from Wilmslow about the 22uf Mundorf E-caps supplied as RAW not PLAIN.... not good customer service.

I'm jamie.

A small update,
    im still waiting for the Ansar super sound 1uf caps.
    I did however do as much as i can until they arrive on 1 board.
    In the meantime the Monitor Audio R852's are doing sterling service

Last edited by karma67; 15-01-2017 at 19:47.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

who's been a busy boy today then??
    the 1uf caps arrived today,this was no 5 minute job and my backs killing me!
    im aiming to have them up and running tomorrow

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Rod.

Looking good Jamie, my boards should look the same once I get the replacement Mundorf 22uf e-caps in the PLAIN type.

Wilmslow Audio finally got back in touch, they seem to be quite slow in replying to emails, but they did state that they sent the Mundorf 22uf e-cap RAW types in error and are sending replacements which was encouraging. (The RAW types are a fraction of the physical size of the PLAIN type as you have so are easy to spot) I also mentioned the 'out of tolerance' Mundorf e-caps which they said they would try to rectify.

What type of connecting cable did you go for, it looks similar gauge to the original cable used, and what is the foam packing material?

Looking forward to hearing about the results when you get them together

I'm jamie.

hi rod,
    its 7.25am here in the uk and im just about to start putting them back together
    for the internal wire i used Van Damme Blue Series 0.75mm Studio Grade i just cut the sleeving off,as for the foam its for welding helmets,its stuck to the band that goes around you forehead to stop it rubbing your skin.we have loads a work.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Rod.

That's good to know about the cabling - I think I'll just use some thin white polyethylene dense packing foam for my pads, or as you did whatever I have at hand - I would twist the cables where you can as this simple technique helps with screening the signal through the wires.

Should have then up and running before lunch?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Oooh... I can *feel* your excitement!

Look forward to reading about your impressions

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

all finished a sounding much better,not night and day as the old cliche goes but definitely better.
    the balance between drivers has improved,the sound is more integrated if you know what i mean.the mid range has also benefited from the mundorf electrolytic and 1% poly mix as detailed in kens restoration thread.

1st pic is the new binding posts fitted.

i took the trouble to swap out the HF2000 tweeters for some red label HF2000's i bought from ken,these are supposedly earlier and better made.

crossover fitted,

its been a long slog doing these,id like to give the baffle board a freshen up with stain and also the grill cloths need some attention but for now im going to enjoy them.
    happy days
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Jamie. Glad it seems to have worked out well! Looking forward to seeing the finished articles (in terms of your tarting up of the speakers physically), and some more thoughts on how they sound, once your ears fully adjust to all the changes

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Hi Jamie. Have you considered experimenting with the crossover location? Maybe situating it on the floor of the cabinets, away from any driver magnets, which could possibly have influence over the inductors.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast