+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Celestion Ditton 66 recap

I'm Mark.

Default Celestion Ditton 66 recap

It's not usually considered a good idea to have all the inductors orientated the same way, particularly ones that are close together. Are they like that for a particular reason?

Edit: Oh, I see Paul has already covered this. The interaction between coils is very well known and widely documented. In addition, as Paul says, it is very easy to measure. I have also tried measuring inductors in close proximity to metal sheets and, again, the effect is very easy to measure and quite significant.

100% Analogue

I'm jamie.

hi,
    thats the way celestion placed them.
    im just going to enjoy them for a while now
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M,Mordaunt Short Signifer,Monitor Audio R952 MD,Pioneer PLC-1700, DD,TT, Townsend Elite rock 2,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS,Ortofon 2M BLACK ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Mark.

Default Celestion Ditton 66 recap

Hmm... strange that they should ignore the protocol. Have you perhaps replaced the coils with air-cored variants? I say this because air-cored replacements are invariably much larger than the ferrite cored alternatives and produce a significantly larger radiated field.

100% Analogue

I'm jamie.

no ive not touched the inductors,they are original to the crossovers,same as kens 66's,you mentioned the same thing on his thread,memory loss?

with all the grief with the hf2000's tweeters it has lead me to look at suitable replacement rather than gamble again buying second hand. the seas unit spring to mind and has been mentioned a lot.
    the other is the Hiquphon ow1,not much info and what there is is over my head,anyone know if it would be ok?
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M,Mordaunt Short Signifer,Monitor Audio R952 MD,Pioneer PLC-1700, DD,TT, Townsend Elite rock 2,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS,Ortofon 2M BLACK ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Mark.

Sorry if I am repeating myself, I'll but out I'm only mentioning it in an academic sense, it's not a big deal, it's just interesting . Enjoy is what I say!

100% Analogue

I'm Rod.

I've said this before but I think you have to have some faith that a well established loudspeaker company, such as Celestion, would have listened to the speakers with the crossovers in situ, with the inductors placed the way they are, measured them and pronounced them OK.

Back in the day would the process be: design an ideal crossover circuit first on paper for the drivers in question, not necessarily taking inductor interaction into account (but they would know all about how they behave in proximity), or try out several specifications and pick the one that works best in the cabinets and sounds and measures best, then publish the ideal values in a diagram that you know works.

We have to assume that Celestion/Kef had testing facilities and that changes to the crossover were made taking measurements from testing/listening with the cabinets complete.

Enjoy them Jamie, as they they have been for decades from a company that knows something about producing good speakers.

It is interesting to know Mark about how inductors interact so much with each other it may be why I've had issues getting my other, non Celestion, speakers working properly in the bass area.
    I'm now getting my meter out to measure what's going on with the paired inductors in question, a quick orientation change to one might help - so thanks for the input.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456