Seeing as a few Celestion speakers have been recapped on here lately i thought my 66's should have some love
Finished in the rare walnut veneer and cabinets marked Nov 1974 the caps are surely out of spec right? They sound so good so can they be improved?

Here's a little mystery,the crossovers are different in the caps fitted,the mid uses a pye 24uf and an 6uf elcap electrolytic,total value 30uf.
1 crossover board is correct,the other just has the pye,all caps except for the LF caps (which i changed last year) appear to be original to both crossovers.

Hmmm the plot thickens!
When removing the huge mid drivers i noticed they are the prefered newer spec MD500,the early ones being MF500.These use a total cap value of 24uf so 1 crossover is correct.

So either someones added the newer MD500 mid drivers or these are right on the change over period,there is a stamp on the driver but its small,it looks like INSPEC 76 8OHMS.
If this is the date then it would appear they have been added by someone later,as i doubt Celestion would have used 2 year old cabinets back in 1976? but what do i know

I await the postman with all the caps,new binding posts and fresh copper cable,im hoping to have these back up and running by the weekend.