+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over the Moon

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    A small update to my Simaudio Mind 180 story: I've moved the connection between the Mind and my M2Tech Young DAC from RCA to balanced AES/EBU connection on XLR, with good results. The sound seems to have filled out, with voices and instruments having more solidity and there being a little more clarity. When I was considering getting the Mind, I noticed some reviews mentioning that the output was better via XLR, but I'd got it into my head that I didn't have a matching input on my DAC. Then a couple of days ago I had the DAC out and realised it does have an XLR input - I wonder about myself sometimes.

So an even happier Mind 180 owner.
    XLR only works well really when everything is connected XLR throughout.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Have an M2Tech Young myself and spent a lot of time (and money!) looking formthe best digital hookup from my Logitech Transporter (2006 tech!) to the Young.

AES was noticably better than the rest, and its worth noting I tried a few different XLR digital cables and from direct experience with the same Dac, dont let anyone tell you they all sound the same.

Hear what Jim's saying about balanced/unbalanced connections, but for a digital cable you'll be fine.

Go for XLR if you can...and you can!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Rob.

Thanks Gazjam. I'm just about to order a XLR cable from David at MCRU. I'll see if that improves the sound over the cheap one I bought on the bay of E, to see if it would work.
    Rob.