+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My System

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Steve.

Default My System

Hi All

Thought I should share my set up as it was in 2013. The amp on top is a F5 Clone (Circuit design by Nelson Pass) PCB from the Diy Audio store. Still got this but changed to Hypex module based amps.

Speakers are TQWT-mkII, designed by Troels Gravesen. Built in 2011. DIY fine silver cables from drivers to rear of the amps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Martin.

I like the fairy light minefield you've laid around the system.

I only found this http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-mkIII.htm when googling your speakers which doesn't help much. What's the deal with them? I think TG has some good ideas but the website is really confused.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Hi Martin

About the fairlyights, I used to have a U shaped play pen bars around my set up when my kids where younger

Link to the oringal web page for the speakers I built. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JA8008.htm Hope it works for you
    I am thinking about making another set soon.

I'm Michael.

Hi Steve, Nice job with the Troels Gravesen speakers. They look to have great build quality. Bet they sound great! Do you find the Hypex modules to be superior to the Nelson Pass clones I wonder? I am investigating the Hypex plate amps AS2.100D for an active/passive speaker system. It would be interesting to see your remarks on the Hypex.

I'm Steve.

Hi Dauntless

Thanks for your compliment on the speakers. Took me about 100 hours or so to construct. The way I hear them is that they produce a nice open and laid back sound. I had chord silver plated copper speaker cables for many years. When I came to build these I read on another forum a recipe for making your own pure silver cables. Basically I bought fine silver wire from a jewellery website and Teflon sleeves from Hi Fi Collective. There are no speaker posts on the cabinets, instead the other end is held in with CMC connectors on the Hypex amps. Silver I think sounds more open and a bit softer across the spectrum. Happy to try silver plated copper if technology has moved on, what do you think?

A couple of times I have come home from the National Audio show at Whittlebury hall and felt that these are much nicer to listen to than most of the ‘bright’ and booming speakers at the show. I could have these on all day and not feel fatigued. They are clear enough, however I sometimes wish for a little more speed and dynamics in the mid range. To address this I thought I would put the F5 clone to one side and invest in a set of Hypex NC400 modules. Before I mailed ordered the Hypex parts from Holland (including postage…) I tried out just for an interesting comparison a
    Cambridge Audio 851W power amp. Now this thing was impressive in every way. Priced at about £1500 from Richer Sounds in late 2015. I paid a bit less as it was a demo model. Brought it home for one day to give it a go. I was very impressed with the clear and dynamic sound! There is also a nicely written review about this ‘beast’ by Andrew Everard on his own website.

I do enjoy making things so enjoyed putting those modules neatly into a couple of metal cases last year. I bought two PSU as well, dual mono.
    The Hypex modules sound to my ears much clearer across the frequency range. Certainly a faster more dynamic sound. I prefer them to the ‘lush’ sounding F5 if I am honest. The Hyphex sound could also be described as accurate and I mean that in a positive sense. Happy to recommend them to you. Please do share photos during and after your build if you go ahead
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve 12; 11-01-2017 at 21:10. Reason: grammer and photo

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 12 View Post
    Hi Martin

About the fairlyights, I used to have a U shaped play pen bars around my set up when my kids where younger

Link to the oringal web page for the speakers I built. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JA8008.htm Hope it works for you
    I am thinking about making another set soon.
    Yes it does work, fascinating stuff and not an easy build. I like the way they address all the angles - high efficiency, low bass and reasonable size.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread