+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Isolation feet - what are you using under your gear?

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    2 schools of thought on this. One is that every component is capable of having its performance changed by what it sits on. The other is that only components susceptible to vibration - like a turntable - can be affected by what they sit on.
    The second school of thought is the logical, textbook one. It is the one I am inclined to agree with. I mean how can what a solid state power amp, for example, sits on possible affect its performance?
    The second school of thought is the one I'm inclined to agree with too, but I must point out that solid-state electronic circuits are susceptible to vibration. Surface-mount electronic components seem to be more susceptible and that might be due to their construction and the way they're mounted to the circuit board - any flex that the board is subjected to produces a pulling/bending force on the component. It's possible to hear the effects quite clearly, but only if it's a high gain circuit and you're whacking the board with a pencil or lolly stick or something similar. The forces on the board from soundwaves must be millions of times less.

However, if the aim is to isolate a component from external vibration what use would a piece of bamboo or stainless steel etc. be? Try replacing your car's suspension with a rigid piece of bamboo and see how much isolation you get!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The second school of thought is the one I'm inclined to agree with too, but I must point out that solid-state electronic circuits are susceptible to vibration. Surface-mount electronic components seem to be more susceptible and that might be due to their construction and the way they're mounted to the circuit board - any flex that the board is subjected to produces a pulling/bending force on the component. It's possible to hear the effects quite clearly, but only if it's a high gain circuit and you're whacking the board with a pencil or lolly stick or something similar. The forces on the board from soundwaves must be millions of times less.

However, if the aim is to isolate a component from external vibration what use would a piece of bamboo or stainless steel etc. be? Try replacing your car's suspension with a rigid piece of bamboo and see how much isolation you get!
    Maybe I don't know what I'm doing
    Basically my ss amp and cdp sit on seperate glass shelves.
    My thinking is that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have them on something like wood isolation feet even for tiny benefit. That's my simple thinking anyway.
    Like I said, the Panzerwood spike feet appeal but daft money for what they are in my opinion.

I'm Grant.

Indeed, a lot of amps dont sound good on glass ive found. Dont know exactly why but ive had a huge improvement when i had my mf a1000 on glass then up on feet
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post

If there is an effect to be had on SS amplifiers I doubt that the cause is isolation from vibration. As I said earlier my own experience was that putting anti-vibration feet under the power amp seemed to degrade the sound when I expected no change or an improvement.

I've not messed about with this sort of thing for a few years now, preferring to concentrate on getting the basics right, but when I was poor but time-rich I experimented quite a bit with different ad-hoc supports, placing weights on top of kit, etc in the hope of getting a free upgrade.

I never discovered a miracle tweak but I did sometimes think I heard differences, That is what leads me to still think that there may be something in it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Indeed, a lot of amps dont sound good on glass ive found. Dont know exactly why but ive had a huge improvement when i had my mf a1000 on glass then up on feet
    Hmm I've got one of those glass chopping boards in the cupboard, could try sitting the power amp on that, if it will fit. I'm all in favour of trying tweaks like this so long as they cost nothing and I don't have to leave the house.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hmm I've got one of those glass chopping boards in the cupboard, could try sitting the power amp on that, if it will fit. I'm all in favour of trying tweaks like this so long as they cost nothing and I don't have to leave the house.
    Glass may need to be suspended for the effect to happen. Be interesting to see if just glass on floor has any, as its being damped by floor.
    Think Gaz had his stuff on oak spikes on his glass shelves too and found it benificial
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm tony.

I cut down the legs on Ikea Lack table to place my amp under the turntable recently. Just couldnt get the sound back to where I wanted it.

Was faffing about with speaker placement and tightened up all the speaker stand spikes-still no joy.

Thought I would try some oak cone feet that I had in a drawer under my amp/DAC-it sorted the problem!!

I try to keep an open mind and do my own experimentation.

A slate chopping board under the turntable improves things but under the amp makes things worse-go figure!

I'm Gary.

You really cant vouch for this stuff with different bits of kit!

My boxes all sits on isolated glass shelves in a wooden rack, one of those Stands Unique table jobbies.
    Previous to that I had a couple of target shelve racks, which were MDF I think.

Different sound depending on what you plonk the boxes on for sure.
    For the current setup I tried a fair few different feet, the best I for my glass rack was the Sound Damped Steel Isofeet plates.
    http://www.sounddampedsteel.com/hifi.html
    The turntable feet sit directly on them and the big valve amp sits on RDC cones on top of the SDS plates.

Ironically, the best equipment support I found for my Transporter digital source was the 3 rubber turntable feet off the old Rega Planar 2 I bought in 96!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Like I said, the Panzerwood spike feet appeal but daft money for what they are in my opinion.
    have you got a link for them mate?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    have you got a link for them mate?
    Here you go Jamie http://panzerwood.com/products/ - I'm tempted to get a set in the future to go at least under my amp.
    However,any spare cash at the moment though has to go towards paying down on the Paul Hynes SR7 psu and triple stage regulator mods so it would have to wait.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast