+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Isolation feet - what are you using under your gear?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post

I never said anyone was being criticised, quite the opposite, I havn't threatened anyone with violence, no idea where that came from, and I'm pretty sure people can speak for themselves.
    Gary, I didnt say you said anyone was being critised or that you've threatened violence either -Your communication is confusing - take a chill pill

I'm Geoff.

Steady lads. Keep it nice.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Always the aim with me Geoff as you know - I do wonder sometimes though

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No problem thanks

I'm Neil.

RDC cones and platforms. String Concepts platforms, Clear Light Audio Racks, BrightStar Audio Isonodes.

Ikea Bamboo butchers blocks have been written about as being good isolation platforms - read here http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm. I bought one to try but haven't got round to it yet.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

2 schools of thought on this. One is that every component is capable of having its performance changed by what it sits on. The other is that only components susceptible to vibration - like a turntable - can be affected by what they sit on.

The second school of thought is the logical, textbook one. It is the one I am inclined to agree with. I mean how can what a solid state power amp, for example, sits on possible affect its performance? Except that in my own experience I reckon I have heard differences when siting components such as cd players and solid state amplifiers on various surfaces and materials. Not big differences, very subtle differences. Subtle enough that it could be imagination? Yes, maybe. Nevertheless it bugs me. I recall siting a power amp on some rubberised anti-vibration feet designed for washing machines. I quickly removed them as I was convinced It made the sound worse from the first few bars of the test-track.

In any case to answer the o/p - I currently don't use anything except the feet the equipment came with, but based on previous experimentation I reckon wooden supports of some type are the way to go.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    RDC cones and platforms. String Concepts platforms, Clear Light Audio Racks, BrightStar Audio Isonodes.

Ikea Bamboo butchers blocks have been written about as being good isolation platforms - read here http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm. I bought one to try but haven't got round to it yet.
    Very interesting Neil and not daft money either...

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    2 schools of thought on this. One is that every component is capable of having its performance changed by what it sits on. The other is that only components susceptible to vibration - like a turntable - can be affected by what they sit on.

The second school of thought is the logical, textbook one. It is the one I am inclined to agree with. I mean how can what a solid state power amp, for example, sits on possible affect its performance? Except that in my own experience I reckon I have heard differences when siting components such as cd players and solid state amplifiers on various surfaces and materials. Not big differences, very subtle differences. Subtle enough that it could be imagination? Yes, maybe. Nevertheless it bugs me. I recall siting a power amp on some rubberised anti-vibration feet designed for washing machines. I quickly removed them as I was convinced It made the sound worse from the first few bars of the test-track.

In any case to answer the o/p - I currently don't use anything except the feet the equipment came with, but based on previous experimentation I reckon wooden supports of some type are the way to go.
    My thoughts exactly too Martin.

I really like the look of these Panzerwood pointy spikes for under my amp and cd and have a hunch they would be good but cant justify the price

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    My thoughts exactly too Martin.

I really like the look of these Panzerwood pointy spikes for under my amp and cd and have a hunch they would be good but cant justify the price
    Yes the prices can be silly and are totally unjustified as there is no science to back them up, therefore no R&D costs and the actual material content is pennies. I've been intending to make my own supports by simply cutting blocks from a strip of 2x2, as soon as I find a suitable length of wood in a skip.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Isolation feet? Does 16 'phases' of Mana [and therein about 150 stainless steel spikes] count?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast